Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Anyone have any idea what this white stuff would be in a nectar cell?

15K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Ben Brewcat 
#1 ·
Checked on my only remaining hive I had in town and discovered it was dead. Upon a quick inspection through all the European ants I found a really small dead cluster, a few cells with capped brood, other cells with emerging bees with their tongues out and white specks in cells.........I am sure this hive died from Varroa as well, just like the other hive did next to it back in November. Anyhow, upon inspection I seen that there was a white milky substance in with the fresh nectar that was brought in. There was even milky white substance in with some pollen cells as well. I will be bringing this hive home tomorrow after work to further investigate things and get more pictures.

Here are some of the drone cells filled with the white substance:

Any Ideas??

Thanks!!
Jason

See less See more
#3 ·
Not larvae decomposing. The white stuff was found in the pollen cells and cells that had unripened nectar in them. This frame didn't have any capped brood on it at all, and it was 4 frames from the "cluster" and any capped cells.

Just plain weird, at first I thought maybe a poison of some sort. I have no idea!!

#6 ·
It could be yeast, never thought of that!

It's not sugar syrup as I was fortunate that the city hives had plenty of forage all year, Infact the top 10 frame deep is packed with honey. Never had to feed this hive and this was a large swarm I caught in late February of last year. They drew out two 10 frame deeps and most of a 10 frame medium and had surplus honey.

#15 ·
Ive never seen crystalized honey, so im not sure. Do crystals usually float around in the nectar?? I dont know, they are also in the pollen cells. I'll take better pictures tonight when I get the hive home!

Eddie, that would be the unltimate hive, pour a couple cells of beer for ya on a hot day!!

#18 ·
It is granulated honey that we get in fall here in the Bay Area. I have many combs right now that won't extract. I left a few supers on strong hives and it got filled with that stuff. Put it back on the hives and it seems to disappear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.