Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

butterfly bush

15K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  LtlWilli 
#1 ·
I planted several hedges of butterfly bush at our place. Purple and golden ball.

While honey bees do visit the purple ones - they are all over the golden ball bushes. It can be like a crazy traffic jam of polinators at times. Long summer flowering. Good things about buddlia are - fast growing, evergreen(for privacy hedges) and best of all dont seem to require much additional water. In my area I can find them at just about any good nursury. Im pretty happy with them all in all.

Matt

#6 ·
The purple one I also have, the bees love it and so does everything else. I have seen the butterfly bush as large as 15 feet wide and 20 feet tall:eek::D

Damb Joe you want a species name, ( Buddleia Davidii--Black Knight )

#7 ·
"Buddliea" try this picture Golden Globe is so busy in summer. Ive seen it listed as: orange buddliea too.

Forest farm in oregon has buddliea, Evodia, both vitex, and alot of other rare nectar trees for sale. they even have a code listing for honey plants.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25193206@N03/2551983526/

lots of images with bee on them yahoo image search

hope this helps,

Matt

#9 ·
well... for us they keep their leaves:) Our winter lows are about 25F.

Then again in the summer it gets upward of 110F. In fact for the last 3 days it was in the 108F range. Some relief today of 95.

...and as far as being a hedge plant...I didnt mean to imply that it was a topiary plant. onlyt hat it seems to keep the local skateboarders from scramling over the front fence. It got to be 15 feet in two seasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.