Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Comb rotation - what do you do?

11K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  WI-beek 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have heard some but not much about rotating old comb out of the hives on, say, a 5-year cycle. I've heard of folks who say they've got a comb from great-granddad's hive. Is rotation neccessary? Do you do it, and if so why, or why not? Your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If you treat, especially with anything that is oil based or lipophillic (essential oils including thymol, cumophos aka CheckMite, Fluvalinate aka Apistan) then it builds up to high levels in the wax rather quickly and you should rotate very frequently. I don't treat. I've never rotated combs out.

#7 ·
is oil based or lipophillic (essential oils including thymol, cumophos aka CheckMite, Fluvalinate aka Apistan) then it builds up to high levels in the wax rather quickly and you should rotate very frequently. .
I just read in the last month or so an article that said the synthetic's checkmite, fluvalinate, apivar, etc build up in the wax, the soft chemicals thymol, oxcylic, and formic build up in the honey, I thought that was interesting, I will see if I can find it again and post it. I only get rid of comb that I can't see through or is damaged or to many drone cells.

#4 ·
In addition to chemical contamination, brood comb collects much of the toxic wastes produced by developing brood. In my opinion, it is a good idea to rotate brood comb. A five year rotation is pretty safe.
I rotate my brood comb.

#9 ·
I run all 3/4 sizes boxes for brood and honey supers and this makes it very easy to rotate frames with combs every three or four years. Old brood frames are cleaned up and new foundation installed for new season honey frames and two year old drawn out honey frames are introduced as new season brood frames. This makes sure that old chemical impregnated wax and diseases are rotated out. Works well.

#10 ·
The tricky thing is keeping track of how old the comb is. I assume that wooden frames take a regular sharpie marker fairly well, I use Mann Lake PF's and a silver color works OK, but not perfect. Sometimes I have trouble getting the marker to mark. Does anyone have any other easy ways to mark black plastic frames?

#12 ·
The recent BeeInformed survey asked about this, and their results have had an impact on how I view rotation:
Beekeepers who replaced 50% or more of the comb in their colonies lose more
colonies than those who did not replace any, or 10% of the combs in their
brood chambers.
and the other quote that I made note of:
Beekeepers who kept bees in colonies where the average age of the brood
comb in their operation was less than 1 year old, lost on average 7.5 more
colonies per hundred when compared to beekeepers who managed bees in
colonies where the average age of the brood comb in their operation was
between 1 and 2 years old.
So my take from this is to replace 1-2 frames per year after the first year. This is one of the few helpful results I gleaned from this survey.

JMO

Rusty

#15 ·
The recent BeeInformed survey asked about this, and their results have had an impact on how I view rotation:

Beekeepers who kept bees in colonies where the average age of the brood

Rusty
I read this and another retired commercial beek on another forum posted that he found higher loses with new comb was very common.
one of the things that I think could influence the study above, is that I would think a lot of new beeks would be replying to the survey and they would have new comb and less experience, so I take this information and went back and looked at my records over the last couple of years. normally when I get a new yard, I move in all nucs, and fill the rest of the hives with foundation as needed. only once have I lost a bunch of new hives and that was because of a wind problem not due to any other problem I could see. so at this pointI'm not worried about adding alot of new comb If I have to.

#13 ·
i have my frames maked with a date via sharpie. stands out well (top of the top bar)

when i re-wax them ill cross it out and write the new date (year only) im shooting for about a 5 year cycle with a few every year. I have a market for the wax so id take more but its just so costly in terms of the bees replaceing it. (honey used to make wax)

#17 ·
>Beekeepers who kept bees in colonies where the average age of the brood

Then it's better to have old comb...

> I would think a lot of new beeks would be replying to the survey and they would have new comb and less experience

I kind of doubt that new beeks were included. Most of them wouldn't be answering such surveys, I would think, but I don't know what their sample population was.

My guess is that the old comb is better insulation...

#18 ·
Then it's better to have old comb...

...My guess is that the old comb is better insulation...
This kind of echo's R.O.B. Manley in 'Honey Farming' 1946.

"There is just one other point I would like to make. Bees always winter better on old combs than new, and I think it matters not at all how old the combs are so long as they are in good condition otherwise. Really good old combs are one of the greatest assets a bee farmer can have. Some people have been foolish enough to advise the regular and systematic scrapping of brood-combs to the extent of 20 per cent per annum, and in so far as good worker combs are concerned, this is just silly advice. My counsel is, get rid of combs that have too many drone cells or are otherwise imperfect, but hang on tight to all others.The older they are the better bees will do on them. This is not theory, or some cracked idea of my own, but a fact which any intelligent beekeeper can prove for himself in a very short time."

#20 ·
This is exactly the type of thing I wish I could devote my life to, testing theory as such as this. I have never given this much thought to old comb in reguards to wintering ability but there could realy be something too it. It would be nice to test this theory by wintering 100 old and 100 new comb colonies started in spring from healthy packages and see what wintering results are after several trials done over a 5 year period by a few beeks in a few different norther states. I'm guessing the theory about insulation value could be tested quite easily without the use of bees.

#22 ·
This is exactly the type of thing I wish I could devote my life to, testing theory as such as this.
it frustrates me to see people attempt science only in a really poor way.

Seems the simple answer is for someone to have comb samples tested in a gas chromatograph over a period of years building up a real data set of how (or if) chemicals build up in used brood comb. You would then have real values of chemical buildup to put with observations of hive health instead of just guessing at some arbitrary period of time. You could also correlate chemical buildup in comb with chemical load of pollen brought in by bees by regular testing of pollen from pollen traps. Is there a strong correlation to chemical contamination of pollen brought in vs chemical build up in the comb?

without tracking of something like the above (a hard number) then your results will be subject to so many other variables as to make any results a subject of endless debate on forums for forever in the future.

#26 ·
There's another factor from the survey that I really don't know how to analyze, namely reusing brood comb that's been taken out of production:

Beekeepers who reported reusing old brood comb in their colonies reported losing on average 12.6 more colonies per 100 (49.5% more) than beekeepers who did not report reusing brood comb that had been taken out of production or purchased.
I'm not quite sure about the meaning of "taken out of production" in this context. Don't most of us move comb around from hive to hive and store any excess comb until we need it? Sometimes it's needed in a few days, a week, or just later in the season as the brood nest contracts and expands. Don't we all strive to have some comb on hand that is already drawn but empty? So I have no idea how ( or even IF) to apply this particular stat. It seems like it is saying this is a dangerous method and leads to losses--but that doesn't make any sense to me!

Again, data interpretation through pure numbers alone isn't going to find all the answers.
I agree. But it should at least point us in helpful directions, don't you think? The problems arise trying to figure out what the stats actually mean, or if they mean anything at all!

:scratch:

Rusty

#28 ·
@Rusty
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, ****ed lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain

The numbers/data can point us in the direction, but answers...

@dirt road

Debate can often be solved through scientific method. There doesn't seem to be a lot of money for that in beekeeping so one has to go with what they "know", have been told from trusted sources or what they learn themselves. Fortunately, bees seem to be tolerant and adaptable so there seems to be a lot of room at the margins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.