Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Honey taste

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  philip.devos 
#1 ·
I still crush & strain honey and like the taste better then extracted honey. Just figured out why, I think it retains the waxy or honeycomb taste as where extracted does not or does not as much. Anyone else notice a differnce between the two?

#4 ·
My old honey super comb is from the 1980's. Mostly it has never been used for brood, although I experimented with not using excluders back then. I saw your post and had never noticed a difference myself. I just went and tried some extracted honey (not all from old comb, but some probably was) and then cut off a piece of cut comb that was made with starter thin foundation. I can't tell the difference except I am still sucking on the wax from the cut comb. No difference in taste though.

#5 ·
Are you filtering out the wax bits with a fine mesh or cheesecloth? shouldn't be able to tell any differeence.
You will notice that overwintered honey/ wild hives can be a lot darker. around here its because goldenrod was added, and it seems bees eat that last also.

#6 ·
No, crush and strain honey is cloudier, dirtier honey. By destroying the comb you're basically destroying honey as alot honey went into producing the wax. Rather than putting the uncapped comb back on to be filled rather quickly you just destroyed a huge resource.

There should be no negligible difference in taste if compared on the same harvest. I also notice no difference in taste between old comb and new comb. I havn't compared brood comb to honey comb, as very little of my honey comb has brood in it. I would think the cacoons would impart somekind of flavor.

Time of year and nectar source has the largest impact.

#7 ·
if you filter your honey at all, and or let it clarify(sit until the wax floats up) there is no differences.... we do both at times, and you can't tell one from the other.

Crush and strain is fine if your a small operation, or don't want to get all the equipment dirty. We end up with a pail of scrappings once a week thats just crush and go...
Mann Lake sells a nice filter bag at 500 microns thats about 9.00 or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.