Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

swarm Help needed

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nobull56 
#1 ·
So 2 weeks back my friend was house sitting for her mom. She was alarmed to find a swarm on her fence. Fearing for her children she called the local feed store witch also deals with bee's. They removed the swarm. A week later there were still a small number of bee's a baseball size. I felt bad for them they looked abandoned and starving :(. So, I decided to move them to my house. I got a medium hive with 10 frames and put them in with a sugar mix beside the entrance. They appeared happy flying about eating and exploring the hive. After a bit more reading I discovered the bee's I recovered looked more like drone bee's, all of them big and long.

Day 3 all the Big drone bee's left now replaced with worker bee's not many only 100 or so. There all clumped next one frame it doesn't appear that there building anything. I also haven't located a queen because I'm to afraid to disturb them. My Hive is located within 100 yards of my neighbors hive.

I have talked to the feed store and all they could say was that's weird. Anyone know whats going on here?
Any insight would be greatly a preached.

forgot to mention when i scraped them into the box from the fence there was this white chunk of something they were piled on top of

See less See more
#2 ·
It seems like queenless bees (in my very limited experience) will spit wax that doesn't really have form, it's just little globs/blobs they pile up.

If there's only a few bees, just shake them in front of your hive and they'll find their way into it. Unless this is your only hive, in that case shake them out and they'll find their way into your neighbor's hive.

100 bees aren't going to get anything done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.