Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

In my opinion...

19K views 91 replies 25 participants last post by  julysun 
#1 ·
People use "in my opinion", "IMO", "IMHO" (my personal favorite) a lot on this forum. More so than on other forums I've visited (non-beekeeping).

Anyone else notice that?
Anyone speculate on why that is?

#40 ·
I actually try to be very careful about saying "I think" when it is just my conclusion or something. It is meant to let the reader know not to take it as reliable information. If I say I know or I saw. those are indisputable. I also say I have heard or I have seen form other sources. Again it is with intent that any one else decide for themselves the reliability of that information. But if I say my hive swarm. nobody has any grounds to argue that. If I say they swarmed and I think it was because I over fed them. It is an invitation for anyone to add their thoughts as well.

I think, I believe, and I have heard are all signals to second guess anything I have shared.

#49 ·
I'm sure some things are designed for a specific life...others utilize the best technology of the day to be as durable as possible.
My twenty five year old refrigerator...keeps on chugging along.
Or...in my misspent youth. Autos needed a tuneup every twelve thousand miles, tires were worn out at about the same....and a car with 100k miles was ready for the junkyard. Yep....they don't make 'em like they used to.
But we have strayed a great distance....and my only point was that engineers are pretty much like everyone else....they often speak in facts but also sometimes confuse opinion with fact.

#55 ·
I have enough problems, being a visual thinker, trying to convert that to speech or even worse, text.
I am the other way. I go from visual thinking, to a list (about enough for a text message), but with speech, I have to connect things together so people understand.

When the doctors fried my brain, I could not stand and talk. It took too much brain power. If someone asked me a question, I had to lean against a wall to answer. :eek:

#57 ·
Well actually, after they irradiated the brain tumor, my communication and social skills have improved. I don't remember how to do integrals and derivatives any more though. :scratch: But then again, I am a biologist, not a mechanical engineer. Although, if someone could explain to me how magnets/electricity works, I would really appreciate it. :D

#90 ·
Let's see. The July sun in Baytown is kind of hot. Then there are the refineries. Are you sure that it is not your brain that is fried?

:digging:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.