Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Finally extracted our honey

40K views 101 replies 18 participants last post by  Acebird 
#1 ·
Well we finally got a Sunday free where we could extract our honey.
Not a big harvest this year but I aggressively split the one hive that made it through the 2011-2012 winter a couple of times and ended up with three active hives. I probably took honey on two hives that I shouldn’t have so if I loose two it may be to starvation or mites. Next spring we will see and learn.
Extractor improvements:
I changed the mounting of the 3 inch PVC center pipe using a toilet flange that was machined down and drilled to accept screws on the ceiling fan. This worked great. It uses a O-ring (normally for sealing) to drive the center tube which carries the frames on metal clips. A lexan plate covers the motor ventilation holes and acts as a slinger for any honey that drips on it.
The wooden top bearing brace was painted and a section was cut out to facilitate loading of the frames without removing the brace. Cabinet drawer ball bearings were added (4) to prevent chafing of the PVC on wood that happened in the prototype. The brace was also screwed to the plastic barrel so I did not have to hold it in like last year. It is now a hands off extractor. Some of you thought that was a big issue.
The wiring was run through the center of the PVC tube to eliminate the wire being in the path of the wet honey.
Four stainless angles were added to the bottom of the barrel as feet to lift the barrel so as not to touch in the center and give the system more stability. Of course shimmy is to be expected if frames of different weight are added in an unsymmetrical pattern. As you can see in the video these frames were pretty well matched.

http://s697.beta.photobucket.com/user/acebird1/media/Harvest2012024_zps45b2bcc4.mp4.html

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Harvest2012019_zps21f79175.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Harvest2012018_zpsb941b6f3.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Harvest2012025_zps91816e56.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Harvest2012028_zpsaa539d9f.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Harvest2012030_zps73791116.jpg

See less See more
#47 ·
33 pounds of honey off of three hives??? So an 11 pound average per hive?? Why even take that honey?? I know I know, its your bees and you will do as you please. Glad they had "plenty of forage around" to make you a few pounds of honey.:scratch:

And Yes, Lauri is a SHE, but probably with more skills than you and I put together.

#52 ·
BG - " 33 pounds of honey off of three hives??? So an 11 pound average per hive?? Why even take that honey?? "
Do you realise that the forum would be much more fun if you stayed in your cave? For many families 33 lb is plenty and they see it as a blessing.
It is nearly Christmas - BG go and wrap some presents, take out last years LEGO blocks - give the rest of us a break.

#54 ·
33 pounds causes me to wonder how much others use each year.
The demand for honey went up when we made a batch of mead and it came out so good from a couple of goofs even. I am not going to make a batch this year because I have too many family members begging. I guess my plan of sticking with just one hive is not going to work. You guys were right, you got to have multiple hives.:)

#57 ·
Ace said:
Not a big harvest this year but I aggressively split the one hive that made it through the 2011-2012 winter a couple of times and ended up with three active hives. I probably took honey on two hives that I shouldn’t have so if I loose (sic) two it may be to starvation or mites. Next spring we will see and learn.

and also said............
The demand for honey went up when we made a batch of mead and it came out so good from a couple of goofs even. I am not going to make a batch this year because I have too many family members begging. I guess my plan of sticking with just one hive is not going to work. You guys were right, you got to have multiple hives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You want more honey next year than this year's 33 pounds. How will you get that if you lose the two hives to starvation and have to keep aggressively splitting the third hive every year as you mentioned? A sacrifice this one year would have given your three hives a much better chance to produce the 2013 season. Not sure what hives in your area average............but couldn't one good hive give you at least 80 to 100 pounds? So this year..............three hives at 33 pounds total is pitiful. At that rate, one good hive is worth more than three non-producers as far as honey harvest goes.

There is also an "expense" to replacing these dead hives next year (loss of honey production and splitting the one hive since you probably won't buy bees). Maybe the hives should have been combined to make one or two from the three hives and left with enough stores for the winter.

Winter is unknown as to how the bees do. Sounds like if it is harsh, your bees lose and so do you.

#58 ·
Winter is unknown as to how the bees do. Sounds like if it is harsh, your bees lose and so do you.
But so far it isn't. Here is the economics: If winter is harsh I will be able to buy ten hives with the extra cash I make from plowing snow. If it is mild the bees might make it.
What is the output of an average hive if you never put anything into it? It is all an experiment for me. I am not making a living on bees. They pollinate our gardens and that is all we ask of them.

#60 ·
Barry, basically I don't have much experience. Some people will immediately say that I should follow the words of the experienced. Yeah, that is one way. How do you know if it is the only way? Do the opposite and find out.

#65 ·
Sergey, Ace started this thread to show off his homemade extractor. That seems fine.
But he felt the need to add that he probably took too much honey from two of this hives. Early in the thread I asked why. Ace could easily said it was a mistake…he misjudged and in retrospect he was concerned. But he didn’t.
Then in later posts he defended those actions based on some skewed economics and his desire to do the opposite of advice given by more experienced people.
Are you telling us that you think his contrary idea to leave his bees short on stores was a good idea? That it is the kind of thinking that western civilization was built on?

#67 ·
Sergey....Are you telling us that you think his contrary idea to leave his bees short on stores was a good idea? That it is the kind of thinking that western civilization was built on?
We shall see - in spring Ace owe us to report was that idea good or bad? But the fact that there is only one proven way of doing beekeeping is simply wrong. For instance I just steal 6 kilos of honey from my horizontal hive and left very little to them. Bad? Why, I am doing so every 1-2 months. It is normal for me and my bees, but probably sounds unusual to you.

#70 ·
Sergey, You live in CA and your bees may be finding food today for all I know. Ace lives in NY. There won’t be anything for his bees until spring.
Many inventions, the result of creative minds and hard work are fine. Most are built on the knowledge passed to the inventor by experienced people. Otherwise we would still be reinventing the wheel……over and over and over again.
If you think it is wise to totally ignore good advice, given by experienced, well intentioned people….so be it. How can I argue with that? And so I won’t.
Good luck to you Sergey.

#78 ·
...If you think it is wise to totally ignore good advice, given by experienced, well intentioned people….so be it. How can I argue with that? And so I won’t. Good luck to you Sergey.
Dan, many thanks for reply. I am in difficult situation, because I basically completely agree that experience should be passes to new generations and promote the progress. This is why education is very important - I agree with you! Ideally, yes, people should learn from their mentors and gradually collect knowledge, expertise and wisdom. Eventually, they should have enough of both to produce something meaningful, some invention etc. Learning from experience of mentor is a "classical" way to learn, but it has flaws. One flaw is how you know that this particular mentor is right in his/her teaching? Hitler is an example - he was an effective "mentor" for many... Many religious "mentors" also controversial. One way to learn what is true and what is wrong is to try a few different approaches and see, which one works better to you. As more one learns, more controversy will be discovered in "teaching" - what to do with this? Again, try a few different approaches to see which one is right. NOW, what is right? Right what you like, or what your mentor likes? I guess, the only way to have some taste what is right is "error-and-try" approach.

I was born in Caucasus Mountains (well, I am true "caucasian"). This area has the whole culture of deep respect of elders. In small remote villages this culture persists even nowadays. They have sort of "council of elders" - they gather in one place and drink tea most of the time. If there is any issue, one could come to their gathering and respectfully ask for advise. Advise may be given or not. My point there is that one need to ask for wisdom. In terms of our discussion my point would be that really wise and experienced person would not try to implement his/her knowledge to others if nobody ask for that. In this thread, Ace did not ask for any advise. He just stated what is going on with his honey - he extracted it using his home-made extractor. Why on the earth, such statement cause desire to teach Ace what to do with his bees?

#74 ·
Ace, if you are referring to me, I did not say you should take 80 pounds of honey from any hive in the condition it/they were in at the time. It seemed you were inferring that. I suggest you reread my post. Basically, I was saying if you had done things differently, you could have one/three hives that this year or next would have produced quite a bit more....possibly 80 to 100 pounds each. What ever is EXTRA is okay to take....whether it is 33 pounds or 80 pounds......but it should only be the EXTRA. Do not twist things that people state to make your case. BTW, it is post #57....

Fini ! Done !

#75 ·
Ace, carrots looked alright, but you may want to increase the sand content where you grow them, you'll get a much better product. Extractor wasn't bad, but I'm not one for home made stuff when I can support the industry for a much better product, doing stuff on the cheap isn't worth it in my opinion. I'm glad you had fun with it though and it worked out for you. I'm not bashing doing stuff on the cheap, I just believe in supporting the industry so they can continue to offer quality products and bigger selections.

#76 ·
Previous to working in the medical field I spent a lot of time working for OEM's. It would be hard for me to fathom that any OEM for bee keeper processing equipment would be able to see a drop in sales volume from a back yard beek making his own equipment. They don't need my support.
Let me explain something:
An OEM wants to sell their equipment to someone that is going to use it, abuse it and wear it out. Not to someone who could barely scratch the polished surfaces. They make their money on parts and repairs and they are building their equipment to last under normal industry usage. If a large number of back yard beeks have this equipment and they give up the hobby that kills their future sales. If the back yard beeks make their own equipment and gives up, the equipment goes in the land fill for the most part. Doesn't affect their sales or their business.

Why would Jake, offer me a DVD if he thought I could hurt his business? He knows I can't.
you may want to increase the sand content where you grow them, you'll get a much better product.
We have one garden that is on top of sand. We have been using it for squash, pumpkins and gourds. The bad part about putting carrots there is the wood chucks will get them. It is worth a try though.
That being said, our carrots are unbelievably sweet. We don't go for pretty.

#79 ·
Sergey, I’ve always admired those who were brave enough to leave their homeland and find a new life. It takes courage to leave what is familiar and go somewhere that the language and culture are so very different…to leave behind family and friends. I respect that courage in you.

I found Ace’s photos and description of his homemade extractor impressive.
My only concern was his statement that he probably took too much honey from two of his hives and that they might not survive because of it. And I asked him why he did it.
Ace, in my opinion, has a history of disputing advice offered by other (not necessarily me) experienced, well meaning beekeepers. So, when he suggested that people do the opposite of that advice…it explained a lot to me. And I said so.
You came to his defense and I understand that. I hope you realize that I don’t mean any ill for Ace but I am afraid that his approach to beekeeping may earn him some painful lessons. I guess those are his to learn.
I appreciate your thoughtful reply and wish you only the best.

#82 ·
My only concern was his statement that he probably took too much honey from two of his hives and that they might not survive because of it. And I asked him why he did it.
Ace, in my opinion, has a history of disputing advice offered by other (not necessarily me) experienced, well meaning beekeepers. So, when he suggested that people do the opposite of that advice…it explained a lot to me. And I said so.
Every thing you said was clear to me except one thing. Why do you take my observations as gospel? If any one of you experts were looking at my hives and gave me advice do you think I would completely ignore it? I have three different hives. Not one looks like the other. The test of time will give me more knowledge than I have today.
Many of the experts quote the words of a newbie's observation as gospel. Personally, I think that is about a 35% chance of being correct.
It may not be apparent by my actions but trust me I am a good listener.
I cringe when I see new people build up so fast. Two or three years into it they got 20 - 40 hives and they haven't even tested the negatives. You need to know what failure looks like or you will be heading right for it.

#90 ·
Note that Cynthia being addressed was a new member (currently 6 posts) and didn't deserve such a nasty response, simply for asking for advice.
To me it is not a nasty response. To me it gets steered into a flair of nastyness by outside commentators looking to push it that way. I think many experts will agree that most newbies tend to micromanage their colonies in the beginning. I was trying to get her to see what she was doing.

Not that any of this belongs in this thread but you have a tendency for attacking people not just myself. You mix up threads cutting and pasting quotes from other threads that don't even have any relevancy. So exactly what are your motives? Are you jockeying for Barry's position on the forum?

#96 ·
Not that any of this belongs in this thread but you have a tendency for attacking people not just myself.
There are only two Beesource members that I respond to in what you are referring to an "attack". You are one of those, and a member whose handle starts with D and ends with Y is the other. Both of you regularly post outrageous comments, and as many members have learned, posting corrections to your misinformation simply does not work. So, my approach is to allow you to hang yourself with your own words. :eek:

What is the problem with quoting your own words? Don't you believe that comments you wrote earlier are still correct? Or were they wrong the first time around?

Are you jockeying for Barry's position on the forum?
Put you tinfoil hat back on Ace. Barry is the site owner, and has an interest in how Beesource is perceived by members. My personal interest is also in having Beesource remain a place where reasonable members are comfortable voicing a reasonable opinion, in response to a reasonable comment or question, free the kind of nasty condesending, unhelpful comments you made to Cynthia (see above).

If you aren't interesting posting reasonable comments, then I will continue to highlight your point of view by dredging up your past dirty laundry and posting it for all to see. Your choice.

:digging:

#80 ·
beemandan - "I hope you realize that I don’t mean any ill for Ace but I am afraid that his approach to beekeeping may earn him some painful lessons. I guess those are his to learn."

I'm glad, very glad actually that you have clarified your position.

I don't know any of you personally. I check into Beesource when the heat of summer or the rain drives me in from my outdoor work. I find many of the discussions interesting. There is always something to learn.
What I don't like are the responses which come across to me as bullying, quite nasty. ACe is often at the receiving end of such comments. We don't need them. It turns me off the dicussion and indeed Beesource.
If I give a response - firm but not rude the moderator removes the post.
Let's stick to the issues and not attack personalities. Thanks!

#81 ·
What I don't like are the responses which come across to me as bullying, quite nasty. ACe is often at the receiving end of such comments.
max2 (and Sergey), would you take a minute and tell me which of my comments came across to you as bullying, quite nasty with Ace on the receiving end? I often don't have much patience with Ace but don't picture my posts to him as bullying or nasty. In this thread I found it surprising that he chose to risk losing two hives to starvation for a gallon of honey each. And I found it even more surprising that he didn't seem troubled about it. I expect I would have questioned the motives of any beekeeper who did the same.
I'm not looking for a fight...just trying to understand how/why my posts here were offensive to you and Sergey.

#91 ·
Need to often pinch myself and not respond as I know it is likely not worth my time and energy. But here goes -

Can i ask how ?80 of the above post contribute to beekeeping. It takes up space that could be much more productive.

Ace, I find many of your far too numerous posts as tactless, blunt, thoughtless, ?deliberately antagonistic, uninformed opinion, inexperienced, etc. This is how I perceive many of your posts.

And as I said earlier, it is hard not to respond but I do not as I don't want to waste my energy and realize it is next to impossible for me to make the issue go away.

#100 ·
Ace,

I'm not knocking ur work, but when I get a piece of equipment, I have standards it must meet. I don't want to have to fiddle with it and take extra time messing with it to get it to work as efficiently as I want it too. I'm not frugal when it comes to my hobbies, I want equipment that will last and is reliable and works well. Chopping up a used plastic container and dismantling a ceiling fan just doesn't cut it for me. I'm happy to go out and spend money at Mann Lake or wherever so they can continue to support my needs in the future. I see this mentality all the time, buy cheap, buy similar stuff at Walmart, then complain when local XYZ store for you hobby closes it's doors or has reduced inventory. I may treat it as a business one year, do you think if I show up with a chopped up plastic barrel and ceiling fan motor they will have a high opinion of my operation when I extract honey at their site for them or want to see how it's done?

If you did build one that way, I would be impressed. It would show me you actually care about your work and take it to that level rather than pulling junk out of a dumpster to build it, but maybe that's just me. That being said, I'm giving/already gave you kudos for building that and it working as well as it did. You always tout your engineering background, I would expect you to do better than following a basic plan and making more improvements than what I saw is maybe why I'm being somewhat critical.

#102 ·
Ace,

I'm not knocking ur work, but when I get a piece of equipment, I have standards it must meet.
I think you are.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Gel Lab/P1240006_zpsb8c9ffbb.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Gel Lab/P1240007_zps0a5dec77.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Gel Lab/P1240008_zps642b68ad.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Gel Lab/P1240010_zpsf21b405c.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Gel Lab/P1240011_zps7442b457.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Gel Lab/P1240009_zps800eca2d.jpg

I do not build junk. I designed and built this system from the ground up. It ran for 23 years, 6 days a week, around the clock. I doubt any bee equipment out there runs under these extremes but what I have seen so far doesn’t look like this after 23 years as little as it gets used.

Mind you, I got paid handsomely for doing this and I did not get paid for making my extractor, only in the pleasure of making it work. I have no regrets doing either project. I had fun doing both. Jrg13 can you appreciate the difference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.