Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How do you identify robbing?

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I often hear people talk about "robbing." I understand that robbing is bees from another colony robbing your colony. Forgive my ignorance, but how do you know when this is taking place? Are there just a mass of bees outside the hive?

#3 ·
A video is worth a thousand words. The first sign is way more activity in the entrance than would be normal. If the camera was back a bit further you would be able to spot the robbers as bees both hovering and nervously darting near the hive looking for a direct path in. You will also see some that arent robbers that are carrying pollen sacs that are calmly landing and walking around looking for an entry. The nervous bees just above the screen on the box are robbers as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sud_VzPgJwA

#6 ·
agreed. the robbing bees will be trying to get into the cracks between the boxes and underneath the top cover. the buzzing will be much louder than normal around the hive. look for bees on the ground just below the entrance, sometimes dead, sometimes injured, you'll see your bees wrestling the robbers off the landing board and falling to the ground.

#12 ·
Before it starts they buzz around quickly and nervously. When bees start robbing it is similar to black Friday when the stores open up for the day. It can be pretty hard to stop it once it starts! Best advice I have is not to leave frames of honey out while going through hives and close the lids. If it does start, smoke 'em good and stuff some grass in the entrances of the hives that are being robbed. If it gets too bad it's time to go home.

#13 ·
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm

"One issue is being sure they are being robbed. Sometimes people mistake an afternoon orientation flight with robbing. Every warm, sunny afternoon during brood rearing you'll see young bees orienting. They will hover and fly around the hive. This is easily mistaken for robbers who also hover around a hive. But with practice you'll learn what young bees look like doing this. Young bees are fuzzy. Young bees are calm compared to robbers. Look at the entrance. Robbers are in a frenzy. Local bees might have a traffic jam at the entrance but they will still be orderly. Wrestling at the entrance is pretty much a give away, but lack of fighting at the entrance does not prove they are not being robbed, it just proves they have overcome the guard bees. One SURE way to tell if they are being robbed is to wait for dark and close the entrance. Any bees in the morning who show up trying to get in are probably robbers. Especially if there are a lot of them."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.