Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

fermented honey

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jbeshearse 
#1 ·
What happens when bees get into fermented honey, Someone in our beeclub said it was toxic to bees? i always put out frames to be cleaned by the bees in the spring, sometimes there are frames that were not capped or capped enough that I don't spin, i put these out in the fall or spring, far enough away from the hives not to encourage robbing behavior, (1/4 mile+) I have never seen a lot of dead bees? any ideas? comments? other that they get drunk! thanks

#4 ·
I have seen those too, but keep in mind that is in relation to body size. I have done research on bees and spilled alcohol on the case, let it evaporate, and put it back on the hive only to have the hive die from toxins. In general it is best to keep them as far away from alcohol as humanly possible.

#6 ·
There is a difference in a topical treatment of 80% to 100% denatured or rubbing alcohol an ingestation of less that 20% concentration of alchohol. it is in relation to body size and bees can consume more alcohol by percentage than humans can.

If you let the alcohol evaporate then some left behind residue killed the bees, then it was not the alcohol that killed them but some impurities in the solution. Because the alcohol evaporated and was no longer present.

Generally fermented honey will not damage your bees. Otherwise any hive that allowed nectar to ferment, and it does happen in good hives, would die out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.