Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive Tool - Use / Storage

28K views 75 replies 25 participants last post by  snl 
#1 ·
Hey all, so my contract product design position just ended (ie, now unemployed) and I need to keep busy. I wanted to start a person project and look at redesigning the hive tool / some thing for storing it. I'm in my first season and wanted to turn to all of you for feedback on your likes / dislikes of what is currently on the market.

I'd like to start a dialogue about how members of beesource use their hive tools, more specifically:

-Do you use a hive tool? If so, what type?

-What hand do you use the tool(s) in?

-For what functions / how do you use the tool(s)?

-What are the pros / cons of the hive tool(s) you have?

-What features would you want to see in the "ultimate hive tool"?

-Where do you put the hive tool when when inspecting a hive and it's not in your hand?

-Anything else I should know??

It'd be great to hear from:

-New Beeks
-Seasoned Hobbyists
-Sideliners
-Commercial Keepers

Thanks in advance; I created another thread about veils and you guys/gals were great in responding. Just as an update, I've since prototyped a few and been testing my homemade veil with my bees and so far love it/need to continue tweaking it. http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?286502-Veils-Black-Mesh

See less See more
#41 ·
As for a Holster ; I keep a strong magnet in my pocket. Just stick the hive tool on the outside. Easy on- easy off. Of course it does leave a propolis stain .

@bbbthingmaker-

The propolis stain was one of the things I noticed on my jeans when I'd stick the hive tool in my front or back pocket. And my early breadboard prototype that I've used is starting to show signs of staining or chunks of propolis sticking to the fabric.

Thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

#45 ·
I would be interested in a leather holster. something that hangs below the jacket level so it has to be below the belt by a couple of inches. I would also like to see it have a small pocket for the flat sharp end. not much of one but something to prevent it from sliding down while moving around and also sheath the sharp edge. Not sure how to deal with the curved edge of the tool I use. it would most likely be hanging out there ready to cut the arm of my jacket. Of course I could just switch to the J tool.

I know I just made the holster a lot more expensive but I am the type that will pay more for something that works better.

#50 ·
On to Creekside's post #37, I would add a bag for queen cages, hive entrance blocks, queen catcher, paint pens, chalk, etc., and a separate holder for the powdered sugar sifter, unless you have made up the beekeepers' work stool with toolbox cubby holes on the sides, or have rigged up your metal pail for your smoker to hold tools as well. A good old carpenter's open tool tote box also works well.

I've stopped using the frame perch...I just use an empty hive body nowadays - it's more stable.

#52 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the comments and support; this has been a great thread.

Here's a page I just put together with images of my rough prototypes. These are just works like and very crude. The point is just to convey the functional intent and a little bit about the potential material. But it's all up in the air.

Let me know your thoughts.... positive and negative are welcome. Any concerns you may have or things you'd like added.
(I'm sketching out some concepts that include a slot for a marker or other small features)

Prototype #3 and #4 both have features in them that allow the user to put the hive tool "inside" to prevent tearing or ripping of any clothing around the holster area. This was a request by someone one here. But it also allows the user to just place the hive tool on the outside for efficiency while inspecting hives.

#54 ·
100% Maxant !! We try to keep it local with our purchases. In the world of beekeeping supplies I'd say Mass is local. Especially since my last job was off of 495 in Mass.

It says on it that you've pat'd in USA & CAN. (Just as proof that it's a real one) Do you find a lot of companies making knock offs?

#58 ·
when are you going to bring back the other hive tool you made years ago? I was down to my last one and delivered honey to the person that sold me my original ones 30+ years ago.
He's now retired, told him I was going to have to quit beekeeping because no one made the hive tool that I used any more, he sent his wife somewhere to find "those hive tools that don't have any paint on them" she came back with five and he let me have them. :eek:t:

#59 ·
Today, I will try to take a photo of the leather tool carrier that I have used since 1965. This year I had a leathersmith make me a new one. This one had almost worn through. It fits in your back pocket, is slightly gusseted so the tool will slide in and out easily, and also is made so that it can be worn with the belt going through it. I use it every day. Will try to get photos and upload today.

cchoganjr

#61 ·
I use one that has a frame holder on it. Make a frame holder that can stay closed (hold on to the frame) without constant hand pressure and I'll buy 5...
Something with a lever or push button release. And of course a small pry bar off one end.

#65 · (Edited)
Jared.Downs.... Here are photos of the hive tool holster that I have used since 1965. I made the holster on the left in 1965, and just replaced it, this year, with a new one made for me by John Spoo, a local leathersmith. (As you can see, the original, was about worn out).

The holster has a slight gusset so the hive tool will slide in and out of the holster, even if it has some propolis, honey, etc, on it. I always use it in my pocket, but, it has a belt loop sewed into it. Those of you who have seen me at Kelly Bee Co demonstrations, you have seen me using it. Works great for me.

Wood

Bag Handbag Waist Shoulder Leather

Leather Bag Tan Belt Waist

The holster is 10 1/2 inches long, 4 1/4 wide, and the point where the hive tool goes in the holster is 7 inches from the bottom. The belt loop is 2 1/4 inches wide.

cchoganjr

#66 · (Edited)
Jared.Downs.... Here are photos of the hive tool holster that I have used since 1965.
cchoganjr
@Cleo C. Hogan Jr.-

Thanks a bunch for the photos & measurements. It's pretty cool to see the original and the new along with how you use it.

Mind commenting on some of these possible options (along with everyone else!)

I think at this point I'm seeing that there are many interests on here and ways of doing things that there is no "one-set-of features-fits-all-beekeeper" and ultimately this would need to be a line of products say 2-3. I've reassessed my approach and think there might be 3 options. What's everyone thing / feel about this?

#68 · (Edited)
I love the moderate design. I was (and probably still will until I can find something better) thinking about tying a lanyard to my hive tool (it's an EZ-pry http://www.solwaybeesupplies.co.uk/ez-pry-hive-tool-1108-p.asp) through the nail-pull, and tying the opposite end to a carabiner clip that attaches to one of my belt-loops. I figure with about 2.5' of lanyard, it should be long enough that I can reach what I need to with it... I also almost always carry a queen-marker in my pocket...along with a multitool, wallet, cellphone, etc. etc. etc.

#69 ·
@Cleo C Hogan Jr & @ RichardBlalock-

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I didn't explain how I envision each one being made or what what materials so I could get some initial feedback. But the middle design or the one I've labeled "moderate" would be a single piece of leather that is wrapped around a piece of wood that has magnets embedded in it. Then the side straps would hold markers / pens. This design would fit on a belt. So it wouldn't work for those that want a pocket - mounted product. But I'm sure I can keep noodling on how to make that a possibility.

Thanks all! I'll keep posting my progress. Please feel free to comment away (positive and negative).

#70 ·
I would be Minimal to moderate depending on what the additional features of moderate where. Holding a marker is okay. starting to get up to holding a utility knife, not so much. By the time you get to the maximal range I would just be shopping for a tool pouch.

#71 ·
By the time you get to the maximal range I would just be shopping for a tool pouch.
@Daniel Y -

Thanks for the input. Your thoughts are very valid. I'm going to do another round of sketches before moving on to more prototypes. But I'm thinking focusing on the holster to be perform top notch as a holster and at max, have 1 "pocket" for holding an additional item. Rather than having it do a whole bunch of things mediocrely.

Any other thoughts?

#74 · (Edited)
So I finally got some materials in to mock up one of the designs. I plan on mocking up more to test them out. This one was made pretty quickly and the final will be made at a much higher level of quality but I wanted something that was functional & about 80% there in terms of how to make it.

What do you guys think?? (PS, I quickly just took these images and they're bad due to the over exposure)

#75 ·
Also, this was my first time working with leather....getting the hang of it.

The pattern that I stamped into the front (to show where the magnet is) is meant to be hexagonal but I could find any leather working tools to do this so I made my own with a bolt and nut. First time stamping leather, pretty fun.

The stitching is a saddle stitch, purely decorative. For this version, I've epoxied the leather to the wood but will come up with a better more durable solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.