Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How far till it is not considered local honey?

46K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  DutchBee 
#1 ·
I am curious what the distance is before it can no longer be called LOCAL. Is it based off of regions or mileage?

#2 ·
It's based on individual perception. I sell honey all over the North Country. I was at a Arts and Crafts Show. A woman wanted to know how close my closest yard was to where she lives because she had heard that local honey is beneficial for people who have allergies (which she didn't have). I said, "About 15 or 20 miles away from here." She said, "That's too far.". And walked away. I think she wanted it from her back yard.

But the cabbages in our grocery store are sold as local when they are from 300 miles away.

So, who knows.

Why, are you selling honey a distance from your home?

#3 ·
Around here, it is usually accepted as "Local" if it comes from within a 50 mile radius.

I have heard many people describe things as "Local area" within 50 miles and "immediate area" within 10 miles.

Big Bear

#5 ·
If you sell it where you live, it will be local. If you travel very far away from home it is less so. So don't call it local when you go on the road. I have on my label "Natural North Country Honey". The North country is a region. One hundred miles away is stretching it as far as local is concerned, for some people. But realistically, there isn't much difference in what the bees forage on.

#6 ·
I always explained to my customers that, when it comes to honey, it has more to do with the type of flowers the bees are collecting nectar from. For example, most of our honey is made from sweet clover but, if I was collecting honey in, say Texas, I would not be collecting sweet clover honey.

Most people want "local" honey because it can help their allergies and hayfever. Well, if my bees are making sweet clover honey in South Dakota and Nebraska, then the honey is going to have the same types of pollen.

That usually satisfies most customers and they will buy the honey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.