Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Stingless bees from Philippines

105K views 70 replies 20 participants last post by  Terence C. 
#1 ·
I just want to share my first stingless bee colonies. Hopefully they will survive!

Any beekeepers who are willing to share their knowledge about bees is most welcome.

The arrival

Waiting to fly

1st hive strong start

2nd hive trying to keep up

See less See more
#19 ·
Maybe this species from Philippines produces only 500g, but many species in Brazil are a lot more productive. Only to mention some examples we do have:

- Manduri (melipona marginata): Up to 3 liters a year (with only 300 bees in each colony!).
- Mandaçaia (melipona quadrifasciata): Up to 4 liters a year (600 to 800 bees per colony).
- Yellow Uruçu (melipona Rufiventris): Up to 6 liters a year (3.000 to 5.000 bees per colony).
- True Uruçu (melipona scutelaris): Up to 8 liters a year (3.000 to 5.000 bees per colony).
- Tubiba (Scaptotrigona Tubiba): Up to 12 liters a year (up to 20.000 bees per colony).

Probably the stingless bee you had opportunity to see in Brazil was the Jataí (tetragonisca angustula), a species a lot smaller than the previous ones (and than the apis mellifera too), but highly adaptable and very common in most Brazilian cities, even the biggest ones. Their colonies bear up to 10.000 individuals, but being so tiny they can produce only from 0,5 to 1,5l of honey a year.

Nevertheless, its honey have a very good quality and it was one of the first species to be kept in captivity in the most populated areas of the country. But nowadays they are only kept as pets, and not for honey production.

#11 ·
great!!!
u have a great colony..
Thats apis florea right?? locally known as Kyut..

by the way apo why are u using that hive box?? how are you going to split that colony??
we've been studying this bees for quite a while now and we are using a COCONUT SHELL as a hive...splitting is so easy you just have to split the shell and form it gain..
the bees will make their own queen sometimes 2 queens..

i will be posting some pix regarding this wonderful bees..
hoping to hear more from you!!

#12 ·
Yes paul it is locally called Kyut or Kiyot but I believe this is not apis florea but Trigona biroi friese.

In terms of the hive, it is called OATH(Original Australian Trigona hive). Splitting can be done by dividing the hive directly or soft splitting which I'm currently experimenting now. All these techniques I got from Australian stingless bee keepers. Also, Milea bee farm located in Luzon are using this hive. BTW, I was able to get my initial two hives from them.

Please post pix of your stingless bees, let's try share our experiences and together learn about this wonderful creatures.

Thanks!

#13 ·
BTW, I was also able to read about using coconut shell from a research in UPLB. The reason I didn't go that way is because my purchased hive was already using the OATH and it would be very difficult to transfer it to coconut shells. Another reason I read somewhere is that using OATH will have the advantage of more propolis production. Lastly, this hive would make it very easy to transfer from one place to another if ever I decide to do contract pollination in the future.

#16 ·
when i got back to my mentors farm i will ask for a picture...

sorry my bad its a apis florea...
that's great!
i think i know that place ..is that in bicol???
ive been thinking of doins the same, taking care of KIYOT..
but i will use the coconut shell first my mentor just thought me how to split it easily using the shells..
then when i have enough I will do the OATH method,
there are lots of native KiYOT here..the method using the shell is great when you are trying to transfer a native KIYOT to a permanent box or just build the colony in a progressive manner using additional shell..
thanks for the info Apo i hope i can visit ur bees i have been to kidapawan due to the nature of my job..:thumbsup:

Is it true that Trigonas can have 2 queens???

#17 ·
Where is your mentors farm? I'm also interested in keeping european bees. Hopefully, you could share your experiences and techniques.

By the way, my bees are just in my backyard currently and not in the farm. Soon, I will be relocating it so I could have many hives including honeybees.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to process propolis or where I could sell them in the future.

I have not yet heard about the bees having two queens. But now that you've shared it, I'll try to observed my hive.

do you have bees now?

#20 ·
Trying my luck in baiting a swarm of apis cerana. This hive is based on the japanese hive designed for apis cerana japonica. I hope our native bees will adapt this design.

No frames unlike the langstroth design. The wire mesh will help hold the honeycombs in place once the bees start to settle in.

Beeswax are placed inside to attract bees. It is supposed to be melted and brushed on to the walls but I got too lazy. Lemongrass are also rubbed on to the walls as bee attractant.

The top bar where the bees will attach their honeycombs.

Ready to go!

#24 ·
After talking to an expert in Philippine stingless bee (E.J. Robberts), I've found out that I have two different species of stingless bees. The one I bought from Luzon, Philippines was Trigona Biroi Friese while the local (Mindanao, Philippines) bee is said to be Tetragonula Laeviceps.

Here are the key differences I've observed so far:

1. Hive Entrance

Biroi - Guard bees are scattered on the entrance.

Laeviceps - guard bees guard the hole entrance and does not come out.
- propolis in the entrance are intentionally covered with moss for reasons I still don't know.

2. Egg arrangement

Biroi - eggs arranged in pyramidal form and covered with wax/propolis.

Laeviceps - eggs arranged in a mesh structure with web-like propolis to hold it in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.