Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2009 NUC prices

15K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  sqkcrk 
#1 ·
I am over wintering several more NUC's that I will need.

If they all make what is going to be the going price fro a 5 frame NUC?

Paul

#2 · (Edited)
Why don't you wait for the spring to really see how many of your nucs make it and then make a decision on price.
I wish you luck but in nature there is no such thing like 100%, at least constantly.

I personally think that a strong, healthy overwintered nuc is the best configuration in any apiary in the spring. They build up fast and they have already been tested (not all of them will survive the winter), less prone to swarming, less varroa load than the big hives and they will produce honey.
When considering a good healthy overwintered nuc, the price is really irrelavent.
What you get is more important than what you pay.
You are not really paying for what you are getting but for what you expect that what you are getting becomes.

Gilman

#5 ·
Most the folks I know have been quoting $85.00-90.00 w/no frame exchange for nucs, either put in your own equipment or in a cardboard nuc box. I am seeing prices on packages around $120.00, but then I have also seen prices for single story hives in the $100.00 - 120.00 range, so I personally think those package prices are too high. I think a lot of folks set their prices based on continued high fuel and feed costs, fuel costs have eased but feed is still up there pretty good. If it comes down, you could probably count on these prices to fall some as well. If however, as some speculate, we are starting a deflationary period, then they could tumble quite a lot by spring.

#10 ·
For 3 lb packages: B Weaver's 2009 price for Texas pkg bees are $120.00, R Weaver's are at $90.00. Rossman's are considerably less starting at $62.00 and go down to $53.00 with quantities of 100+. Olivarez are priced similarly to Rossman's. Kelley's are at $73.00 - 75.00.

It seems that there is quite a range now that some other folks are posting their 2009 prices.

#20 ·
mr weitzel writes:
or 3 lb packages: B Weaver's 2009 price for Texas pkg bees are $120.00, R Weaver's are at $90.00. Rossman's are considerably less starting at $62.00 and go down to $53.00 with quantities of 100+. Olivarez are priced similarly to Rossman's. Kelley's are at $73.00 - 75.00.

tecumseh:
the price of almond pollination plus increased death loss and expenses are driving much of these price increases. when folks (who have been in the business a long time) know they can make x buck in the almonds, or bees are needed to make up their own winter losses then this quickly gets translated into a dollar figure for packages.

there is a wide range in package prices. I would suggest that for most folks they will get what they pay for.

ps... problably not the best place for this comment (hopefully barry will not throw me under the bus)... but I will have a limited number of nucs pretty much at the same price I sold them for last year. various size of nucs, various queen choices. all prices and terms negotiable.

#25 ·
If anybody wants any 2009 Nucs from me this year it will cost you $500.00 each. Maybe prices will be lower in 2010, but for now I need to re-gain value on my retirement account. :D

I think prices will rise on later nucs once winter is over and everybody can survey their winter losses. If you can buy now for 75.00 each, do so.

#30 ·
Not before almonds
"100 strong eight frame doubles, '08 queens, Before almonds $165. Also 100 after almonds $55. Call Sam (530)347-1987. Cottonwood CA"

"Singles for sale in CA before Almonds..Please call (303)260-0641."

"200 colonies for sale in central Texas(good equipment). Asking $125 each, will sell all or part (979)884-2413"

That's just the ones I felt like typing in, so I guess they are available before almonds, just have to look alittle bit, and all were listed in ABJ volume 149 NO. 1...:applause:. Beats the crap out of paying $150 for nucs:D:doh:.

#36 ·
None of those ads or any of the others in the ABJ are actually available
Tom,

Many of those adds have been running since Oct 08. You would think that if they got filled they would remove them. :scratch: There were also similar ones in the latest bee culture mag also (Feb). Hey wait a minute...weren't you selling 200 or so hives back in the fall?? :doh: Throw them on the truck with my hives returning after almonds and I'll give you 60 bucks per. And don't be sending any weird insects back with um...we want to keep Colorado pure. :D

#35 ·
a guy in tyler tx is making spilts (my box, top, bottom, and 5 frames) + 5 frames from his hives, new bred queen made around march 5. he holds, treats feeds til around 1 week of april and returns them usually with 6-8 full frames for 65.00 (last several years have been 45.00) these q's are daughters of insiminated queens either mh or russian... however, he already has his quota filled.

#40 ·
....not 5 frames of bees and a matted queen..... What is an established young queen?
You seem to be implying that nucs with spring queens do NOT have established queens. While there may be some who just throw the bees and queen together I think this is a rare thing. It is a much more common practice when building nucs to leave the new queen in the nuc for a long enough time so that she is laying well. We typically figure 3 weeks is about the minimum time, 4 weeks is common. The nuc producer can inspect the queen, and assess her quality, ie, see that she is well accepted, well established.
Sheri

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.