Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bleach for combless frame sterilization/disinfection; opinions wanted

28K views 58 replies 15 participants last post by  Acebird 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have a ton of old used frames, mostly no comb, but a few with old comb. I plan to scrape all comb out, not using it because of unknown history. Is it possible to make them safe for reuse by dipping in bleach solution? Please input here. Thanks!

#2 ·
When one is talking about 'cleaning and disinfecting' in the academic world and trying to transfer to practical applications, there are important caveats that don't often translate. Cleaning is often the most important part of the phrase, and that is almost impossible to do with wood. That is why hospitals and food prep facilities use so much stainless steel. Wood has lots of pores and crevices that you may or may not be able to see where really small stuff like bacteria can hide and be protected from disinfectants. If you find a scientific paper that says E coli is killed by this disinfectant in .05 seconds, you might think that is good, but if that disinfectant can never get to the E. coli because it is hiding in some wood pores, the scientific paper doesn't matter.

The other problem is the disinfectants can be inactivated. Soil will quickly cause bleach to become worthless. Your first frames may inactivate the bleach for the last ones. So, you may want to look at what will survive the process and still disinfect, and now you are starting to talk about really expensive chemicals that may leave residues and not be all that effective to begin with.

Depending on what the exposure is, there may or may not be anything to clean to begin with. If you are worried about AFB (American Foul Brood), keep in mind that

1. it is not exceptionally common

2. It makes a spore that is highly resistant to most any chemicals. That is why common advice is to burn the hive.

3. You might be able to see evidence of AFB in the comb you are removing, but no on the wood of the frames.

So, if you are worried about AFB, bleach will not work for you.

If you are worried about the protozoans, such as Nosema, which does not make a spore like the bacteria that causes AFB, then time may be the key, bleach may work, but there is not a lot of information available here and I think there may be some work going on as to the persistency of the bug on equipment.

If I were buying used frames and the comb was not available for inspection, the value would probably be the same as kindling. Some will argue not to buy used frames anyways because there are too many questions. If you are worried about AFB, someone could have had spores all through their frames without any signs of disease because they were regularly feeding antibiotics to keep the vegetative form that causes the scales and dead brood from forming.

Hope that wasn't the too long answer to a short question,

Chris Cripps
chris@betterbee.com
800-632-3379 extension 8001
Greenwich, NY

#3 ·
So the consensus would be to burn them; is that what I'm hearing? I'm quite fine with that, if that's the advice. I have already burned a handful of the frames, but I stopped because some are in such good shape that I hate to burn them. But if burning them is best, I will do it. Thanks Chris!

#4 · (Edited)
That's a really good answer Chris. I have heard of beekeepers boiling old frames in lye water. It's a stinky mess and you end up with a frame that has been structurally weakened. Just remember the wood is only about half the cost of a new frame. Do you really want to put new foundation in a hopefully disinfected frame? Personally based on the few pictures you posted I kind of doubt that there is much risk of AFB but why take the risk putting something in your outfit that you might always regret?

#6 ·
The part I wrote asking "what are you concerned with?" is important. If you have looked and are really clear of AFB, perhaps you are ok to use them. If you aren't sure, maybe you don't want to use them at all like Jim said. Personally, I used to use them and now I give them to a friend with a woodstove. Probably best if they do have AFB that they don't sit out on the woodpile also!
Chris
chris@betterbee.com
Greenwich, NY

#7 ·
I have not seen any concrete evidence for foulbrood in the comb. However, I'm not sure I have any good evidence to the contrary. So, I am not sure. I will probably just put them in the burn barrel. I really don't want to regret anything, but yet, what if they are okay? Hopefully I'm being logical and not going in circles. :)

#8 ·
In terms of killing AFB spores, gamma irradiation is the best method as it does not damage the wood (or even the comb).

Bleach is not very effective at all, other chemical disinfectants are effective only at very high concentrations.

Heat kills AFB spores effectively, but flaming the surface fails to kill subsurface spores. Effective heat methods include:
--dipping in 320ºF liquid paraffin for 10 minutes
--dry oven at 320ºF for 2 hours (this will "toast" the wood slightly and may cause cracking)
--steam autoclave at 250ºF for 30-60 minutes
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2001.01376.x/abstract

Mark

#9 ·
Luterra,

The question that I would have from your response is where would you go to get irradiation done? I am not aware that it is available in the USA unless you are a food manufacturer/processor with some big $. Otherwise, I thought all that was done in Australia or New Zealand. If you or anyone knows about this being available in USA, it might be interesting to know where and how they are doing it.

Thanks,
Chris
chris@betterbee.com
Greenwich, NY

#10 ·
Bleach is not very effective at all, other chemical disinfectants are effective only at very high concentrations.
Not quite right there, bleach is very effective, it quickly breaks down AFB spores. But as others have pointed out, cleaning may be the issue. If the AFB spore is in some wax or somehow otherwise protected so the bleach won't get to it, won't work. But if you can get bleach in contact with AFB spores it will work.

I actually did an experiment to confirm this in my mind. I caught a swarm that went into a wooden nuc. Checked it maybe a month later, lousy with AFB to the point the whole ting even smelled bad. The bees and frames were burned, but I decided to try bleach on the box. The box cleaned best I could, and then thouroughly washed in bleach. After drying, a new sacrificial nuc was put in. No AFB sowed up and the nuc is now a hive. I've used the nuc quite a lot, no AFB,

#14 · (Edited)
I should have phrased that more carefully. Based on the study I linked to (not sure if full text is available to the public), submersion in bleach solution (1.55% sodium hypochlorite) for 30 minutes killed 99.97% of surface spores and 99.90% of internal spores. If we assume that all hives have some AFB spores, a 1000-fold reduction in spore load is probably sufficient. Note however that they used untreated pine blocks with no wax or propolis, both of which are hydrophobic and likely to protect spores from aqueous bleach solutions.

By comparison, exposure to 160ºC (320ºF) heat, either by 10-min paraffin dipping or 2 h dry oven treatment, killed 100% of spores.

Mark

#12 ·
a paper sent to me by the beltsville bee lab stated 275 degrees for two hours would kill afb spores.

i did a medium super this way, and it made the house smell for awhile.

if you could find an old used oven to use outside or in a barn for cheap, you could salvage the frames this way.

#17 ·
i did a medium super this way, and it made the house smell for awhile.
I think this part of your post goes in the "you might be a beekeeper if" Classic statements section :)

My memory is fuzzy but I think the New Zealand study spoke about using bleach. Of course then you need to get the mixture right - Bleach at from 10:1 to 40:1 (water :bleach) is very effective for many uses in disinfecting as long as you get it right. The issue you may find is the surface tension in the wrong mixture may actually surround the spores and not kill them. When you speak of not having "concrete" evidence that tells me there might be some evidence. Would you recognize AFB scale in combs? One hive lost to AFB at todays prices, would pay for quite a few new frames and foundation.

#16 ·
Could you please write the formula for the bleach solution? I was told to use 15% bleach solution. The laundry bleach like Clorax is 10%. I am wondering if the advice was really 15 parts water to one part bleach? Should you dip the frames rather than sponge on the solution?

#36 ·
Store bought Clorox is 6% sodium hypochlorite when it leaves the factory but slowly breaks down over time. If you are buying bleach do it in a store that has a high turnover rate to insure you are getting the most strength possible. I used to buy industrial bleach (12%) by the 55 gallon barrel from a chemical supply house that was very good about keeping fresh product on hand.

A quick test to see if your bleach has any punch is to dip two fingers into it and rub them together. If it feels like it is getting warm then it still has some zing to it.

#18 ·
i think that ben has decided to cull the wax anyway, and is mostly concerned about disinfecting the wood. i emailed him the info from beltsville about how to do that with heat. i can send it to you if you are interested.

lol on the 'might be a beekeeper....", that one almost ended in divorce! :)

#19 ·
Oldtimer> "No AFB sowed up and the nuc is now a hive. I've used the nuc quite a lot, no AFB, "

Oldtimer that’s an interesting experiment but I wouldn't advise anyone (especially someone inexperienced) to experiment with AFB possible contamination. It is my understanding that AFB spores are always present, and given the right set of circumstances it will manifest itself to a point of visible detection. The correlation could be made that my wife and I were both exposed to strep throat bacteria. My wife developed a bad case of strep as a result of this exposure and became quite ill as a result. I on the other hand was never affected. The assumption could thus be made that my immune system prevented me from the infection. Subsequently, one could raise the same argument that while all bees are subjected to certain viruses and in this case AFB spores, only those with weak immune systems and stress conditions will ultimately allow the spore to become virulent within the colony.

#20 ·
Well kinda, but not really. I used the bleach in a way approved by our government for treating AFB equipment. I've always been very wary of AFB and all my life have never used anything other than complete destruction by burning. So when the bleach way was recommended I was very uneasy people would do it, and not get a good result. So decided to try it myself and monitor closely.

AFB is different to strep, in that you could theoretically get a strep infection from just one bacteria. Not so AFB, it has to be in enough quantity to give a good enough infection to kill at least one larvae, before the infection can take hold in a hive. Not enough, the larvae can be infected but not die, and the infection does not spread.

#22 ·
As Oldtimer indicated, we always burned everything if we detected AFB spores. At the time Virginia Dept of Ag. allowed us to shake infected colonies onto foundation to save at least the bees. They then offered an ETO chamber to supposedly clean up the rest of the equipment. The thing about trying to disinfect contaminated equipment is that you really never know if it worked. You could even purposely give contaminated equipment (including brood comb) to a healthy hive and they would never show eventual signs of the disease. But I would never do it.

#23 ·
At the time Virginia Dept of Ag. allowed us to shake infected colonies onto foundation to save at least the bees.
This practise, known as shook swarming, used to be common in my country in the early part of last century. At that time we were a young country with no regulations about bees. But AFB rates went crazy, eventually reaching, it's thought, around 30% of all beehives. What research was done at the time, indicated shook swarming was a big part of the problem, it worked enough that people did it, but not all the time, so AFB would never be wiped out while it was being done. So the government legislated, two main points, one, shook swarming was made illegal, and secondly infected material must be burned.
Because all beekeepers were greatly affected by AFB the new legislation recieved enthusiastic support, and within a few years we went to one of the lowest rates of AFB infection in the world. Which further galvanised support for the legislation and rigid adherance to it.

Of more recent times we have beekeepers who have never seen AFB, and are lax about inspecting, plus people with weird theories about letting bees get "immune" to it. This has caused an increase in infection rates, seems we will never be totally free of the disease.

Just for interest, the more recent legislation about bleach, is it can be used to disinfect any material not contaminated with wax or propolis, so such items as a cleaned smoker, hive tool, etc. can be disinfected with bleach. It is not illegal to use bleach to disinfect items such as boxes and bottom boards, provided they are "clean". The grey area, of course, being how to define clean. My personal opinion is I do not approve of bleaching woodware, sooner or later it won't work due to encapsulated spores. I just did it the one time as an experiment. I was very thorough with the cleaning, and the bleach drenching, as I was doing it I was confident it would be hard for any spores to survive. However, I don't recommend to anybody else they do this.

It did confirm in my mind though that bleach does actually kill spores, the box was infected enough that without the bleaching any bees put into it would have gone down with AFB pretty quick.

That's my 2 cents.

#24 ·
Oldtimer

I agree with your 2 cents. Personally, I never felt that using an untreated bottom board from an AFB positive hive was a big issue, but I still have never done it, nor would I. One year back awhile in 1992 our operation had an outbreak of foulbrood at about 3%. At the time we ran 3000 colonies so it was a real problem. We had purchased bees (and equipment) from an old beekeeper 50 miles away and I always thought that the AFB came with those bees. It was a terribly wet and cold spring that year and the bees were definitely stressed. Things were ripe for the disease to manifest as it is my belief that it is a stress related issue. Long story short we burnt a lot of equipment even though the Dept of Ag. was willing to ETO everything at no charge. As I recall we lost faith in that process as believers that the gas would penetrate the wax and combs and effectively kill the spores. Subsequently we burnt everything and took a loss. We rarely ever saw AFB again in later years. I was listening to a local "expert" here last year explain to a room full of beginners that shaking bees onto foundation in order to burn up the spores was an effective means or eradication of the disease. In my opinion the main issue with AFB is that the vast majority of inexperienced beekeepers couldn't recognize it if they were looking at it. That to me is the major problem. I hear all the time here from beekeepers that they leave there dead-out colonies outside so other bees can benefit from cleaning out the residual honey left in the hive. A potential recipe for disaster. I am glad for websites such as this so that exchanges of ideas can be made available so you don’t have to learn through trial and error.

#25 ·
:update:

Well I contacted the Dept of Ag here in Cheyenne. I talked to Polly Cross, the bee inspector for this set of counties, and told her that I had these frames and boxes of unknown history. She told me that if you want to keep them, the best thing to do is scorch the boxes and the scrape all the frames clean and soak them in a bleach solution. She said that that's what they do to hives that come down with AFB, and it does work. So I guess I'll do that and take my chances. Thanks everyone for your input.

#27 ·
Bleaching frames? Bro, I'd be pretty careful, it's not something I'd do.

If possible, use those ones on only one hive, and monitor carefully. The general wisdom here is monitor closely for one year, at the end of that year you can relax some, but at the end of year two you can consider the hive as clean as any other hive.

It's probably most likely you will not get an AFB infection but if the worst happens and you do, please come back to the thread and let's know, it will be useful info. You could also come back and say, if you didn't get AFB.

#30 ·
I talked with the Dept of Ag and they said this method of disinfection is "approved" and works well and the state inspector uses it, but now I'm reading riskybizz's post. :)

Westerbeekeeper

I followed your initial post regarding the windfall of your used equipment and your obvious excitement at acquiring such used equipment. It became apparent after looking at your pictures of the used frames stacked up on your post that you would like to find a way to feel comfortable to use these old frames and incorporate them in your operation. Once you factor in the cost of scraping the frames, dipping them or bleaching them, and then repairing them, you are left with one sure result. You have a bunch of used frames on your hands. I am not even going to bring up the subject that they might have been AFB contaminated when you purchased them, or that they might still harbor AFB spores after you clean them. That is up to you to decide as you balance what your time involves vs. purchasing new frames to utilize in your cleaned up boxes. One thing is sure, if you do purchase new frames you will at least know for sure that they are clean. Generally people burn them and move on, don't fool around with someone else's used frames. Once AFB manifests itself in an apiary it’s very difficult to eradicate. I guarantee you that you will lose 10x or more the value of your woodenware after you have no choice but to start burning boxes and frames to clean up your bees if it does present itself. Bottom line is that frames are so cheap in the big picture. Isn't your operation worthy of that practice?
It costs me about $0.90 per frame counting in the bleach and time/labor.

#35 ·
I talked with the Dept of Ag and they said this method of disinfection is "approved" and works well and the state inspector uses it, but now I'm reading riskybizz's post. :)

It costs me about $0.90 per frame counting in the bleach and time/labor.

If I can buy new ones for $0.63 per frame why would I bleach old Frames ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

#28 ·
Westerbeekeeper

I followed your initial post regarding the windfall of your used equipment and your obvious excitement at acquiring such used equipment. It became apparent after looking at your pictures of the used frames stacked up on your post that you would like to find a way to feel comfortable to use these old frames and incorporate them in your operation. Once you factor in the cost of scraping the frames, dipping them or bleaching them, and then repairing them, you are left with one sure result. You have a bunch of used frames on your hands. I am not even going to bring up the subject that they might have been AFB contaminated when you purchased them, or that they might still harbor AFB spores after you clean them. That is up to you to decide as you balance what your time involves vs. purchasing new frames to utilize in your cleaned up boxes. One thing is sure, if you do purchase new frames you will at least know for sure that they are clean. Generally people burn them and move on, don't fool around with someone else's used frames. Once AFB manifests itself in an apiary it’s very difficult to eradicate. I guarantee you that you will lose 10x or more the value of your woodenware after you have no choice but to start burning boxes and frames to clean up your bees if it does present itself. Bottom line is that frames are so cheap in the big picture. Isn't your operation worthy of that practice?

#31 ·
For me that would be a no-brainer. Burn it. Some of us are quite prone to learn things by doing them on our own. I admire that. But remember a lot of trial and error has already been conducted in this beekeeping industry for the benefit of all that choose to heed sound advice. Factor in the potential cost of AFB contamination into your business and then go for it.

#33 ·
Westernbee do you ever buy things from Westernbee? I order a lot of things through them. I bet you could get a good deal on new frames from them. Good people to deal with. They have the most economical bottom boards in the industry but don't tell anyone ok. Cedar too..........Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.