Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee Pants

9K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  melliferal 
#1 ·
I received my inspector jacket and zip on veil along with a pair of bee pants , I'm thinking I don't need the pants and I hate to have them if I'm not going to use them . I would use them for my first install but I wouldn't use them for changing jar feeders or quick inspections , might want them for my first swarm collection , I could put the money towards a jacket-veil for the wife , any ideas .

#6 ·
Yeah I went with just a ventilated jacket and veil this year. The bee suit was too dang hot! I tuck my Carhartts into my workboots for the combat look. My wife says I look funny but she has never had a bee sting you where the "sun don't shine". :eek:

#9 ·
I rarely use mine. As mentioned, I use whatever I have on. But my bee suit pants are build up along the thighs and knees even around the back of the pants. If I have to work the bees when it's cold or a little wet a lot of times the bees fly and land on the suit. With regular jeans I tend to get stings when I squat down and pinch a bee in back of my knee as I bend them. That is reduced with the bee pants. A few times I've had to go out after dark when a bear tore hives up and the bees crawl like crazy then. Bee pants are useful in that circumstance as well.

#13 ·
The other day down in SC, I was talking to a young guy working for a queen breeder down there. He had on an ultrabreese full suit, which I was giving him complements on when I noticed that it appeared that was all he had on... so I asked him if he liked naked beekeeping... he told me he did have on drawers but that was about it.... cause this heat will wear you down. Guess it was about 80, but he was from Upstate NY....

#20 ·
Thought I was the only one who did that!!!! When it's high 80s- 90+, I go to white running bra and running shorts with ultra breeze, the white makes it less obvious how little I have on : ). It works. The only thing I don't like about those suits are they are heavy! The only time I use that suit is if I'm going to be working bees most of the day, making them angry and it is really hot.

#21 ·
Me too kb.

I have been wearing an ultrabreeze half suit for a cpl years and it seems to me it gets really heavy when wet. Makes me wonder if there is actually much difference. It is nice to feel a breeze when there is one. I like the roomy hood, though every now and then a bee seems to get through the zipper gap.

Oops, Off Topic comments. Sorry.

I have never seen a Bee Pant. What does it look like? Is that how they sweat? Like dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.