Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

When will I need a second super?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  riverrat 
#1 ·
My hive is booming. Started last year from a package. I have a deep brood box and a shallow super. At the beginning of the season, the super was completely undrawn. Now it almost fully drawn, about 3 frames not drawn yet, and the pace has been very dramatic. The middle couple of frames are completely capped, whereas the others are partially capped or in some cases, not capped at all, but with honey.

I don't have a second super. I might be able to get one in a week. Is that ok? Would two weeks be too long?

#6 ·
I don't have a second super. I might be able to get one in a week. Is that ok? Would two weeks be too long?
one option would be to extract the frames that are capped. If you have a refractometer you may be able to extract some of the uncapped if the honey is around 18%. If not I would rotate the undrawn frames to the middle and the capped to the outside. I usually add suppers when the bees have 80% of the comb drawn. When you order your super I would order a couple extra it never hurts to have them around.

#10 ·
Really? Because in the Top Bar area you were expressing that TB hives are hard to manage. This seems odd to me, because you seem to have a management issue that is equipment related.

I'd suggest popping down to Wal-Mart and picking up a new super to get you out of your jam. My Wal-Mart doesn't have a beekeeping section, nor does my Agway, or my hardware store...

TB hives are great for folks who have a few hives in the back yard, like you, and don't need all the trappings of commercial beekeeping.

Langs are also fine equipment for back-yard beekeeping. They do require different skills and having more equipment on hand to manage and maintain.

I wouldn't call either harder, just different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.