Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bottling Tank vs Steam Kettle?

8K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Beesrme 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Wondering if anybody has ever seen or has experience converting these steam kettles into a bottling tank?
They are manufactured by Vulcan Hart Mfg. Co Louisville, KY see link below:

http://www.genemco.com/catalog/SPPP600vulcanjacketedkettle.pdf

I recently purchased 2 of these tanks except I believe mine are older 30 gallon models and do not have any heater attachment but they do have water pipe with fittings coming out of the bottom and are definitely a jacketed tank.
I was told they were used with steam for heating soup in a commercial school kitchen.
I plan on running hot water into them with a hot water heater type set up and attaching a SS honey bottling valve in place of the large valve that is already on them (I will try to post pics later). But have concern about the existing valve has 4 large bolts that I believe holds the 2 tanks together and by removing them would cause the honey and water to leak out? (valve and bolts are the same as the older bulk milk tanks) :s

#4 · (Edited)
Doesn't fill small containers very well (ie, 12 oz bears, 2 oz bears, 1&2 lb squeeze containers)
Will fill a 5 gal bucket in minutes though but that is not what I use a bottling tank for.
Check out the SS bottling valves on Maxant and Mann Lake bottling tanks and you will see the size that I would like to convert the steam kettles to or at least one of them.

See link below for pic of steam kettle:
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums...ted SS Tanks/0117031530-Copy3_zps0cac0b61.jpg

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums...ted SS Tanks/0117031532b-Copy_zpsd596036a.jpg

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s545/mike_hicks3/0117031531-Copy_zps4b98468f.jpg

#5 ·
I would put a valve on the spout just after the big valve that you can remove for reduced flows. It will be real handy having the big valve for cleaning. It could be as simple as a cork and a tube to a honey gate.

#7 ·
Something mates up to that valve. All I am saying is don't get rid of the valve that might be worth 900 to replace. Add what ever valve you want without buggering up what is standard for that vessel.

#9 ·
EastSide: How many gallon is that Maxant?

I will not even tell you how much I have in these or you would be flopping in your beeyard in dis-beelief! ;)
I do know how much the steam kettles are worth if you buy a new one on the internet! :eek: :eek:

#10 ·
I see it is 16 gal. as I checked the Maxant link you posted!
I have been throwing around the idea of getting a Maxant but then these 2 steam kettles came up in a deal and I couldn't resist, also they are 30 gallons each and have a tapered/slanted bottom toward the valve. That really sold me on them!

#11 ·
Did you see the slug in the bottom of the plastic bucket? Maxant might have the right idea not having the outlet right on the bottom of the tank.

Just saying.

Anybody know how fast you can heat the fifteen gallons of honey if it were at 60F degrees? That might limit your filling capacity.

#12 ·
Ace I can turn it on in the morning and be bottling honey shortly after lunch. It does not take near as long as I thought it might. This is the first year I have had to try and bottle cold honey so the bottling tank has been a real good investment. Maxant's tank is a very well made product.

#17 ·
The bottom is jacketed too? How do you control the flow of the hot fluid underneath? Most jacketed vessels I have used are only on the side and then there is an agitator in the center that scrapes the sides.

Nobody see the sludge, dark brown substance in the bottom of the buckets?

#21 ·
Are you sure they don't have a heating element inside them from the pictures on the side it sure looks like what you have. I would double check that. Also if they are stainless any good welding shop could cut off the present valve and weld on a new threaded fitting so you could attach a bottling valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.