Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Frankenstorm

Tags
deaths
21K views 98 replies 36 participants last post by  Gypsi 
#1 ·
So we have this huge storm due to arrive Mon-Tues from hurricane Sandy. We have 60mph sustained winds predicted and up to 8 inches of rainfall. I have one hive on the edge of our field. DO I try to build a windbreak of some sort---strawbales? Or do i risk these rolling into my hive and knocking it over. Is it fine to just let it go as is?

#7 ·
I drove steel stakes in the front and rear of each hive and tied garden twine tightly over each one. They're also pushed close together all on the same stand and tied that way also. I have twine going both front and back and over the sides of each keeping it both down and on the stand. That's what I've done. I personally wouldn't try to put a wind break up at this point. I'd just try to tie it down someway. A rachet strap over the top of the whole thing would be a help. This way if it does fall over at least it won't come apart and they'll probably be fine unless they float away.

#8 ·
I had one blown over by Irene. It was up against a garage and the wind deflected off the building and knocked it over. Put it back together and it was fine. I think wind breaks are just problematic. The larger the "sail area" the more dangerous it is. In Irene, the largest and strongest trees toppled while the smaller ones with less leaf area faired better. Hives are pretty heavy and propolised well. I'm hoping for the best. Be safe!

#9 ·
Whatever you folks decide to do or not do with your bees just remember that high water is at least as big a danger as is high wind. I have seen hives flooded out that I never even considered to be in danger before.

#10 ·
As of right now Sandy is 260 miles south/ South East of of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. moving North East at 13 miles per hour. it is expected to make a sharp turn west by tonight.

Now lets say the storm continues to move nothreast for 12 hours. it will be at it's current speed 149 miles further north east. But I will still say it is 260 miles from the coast. it will then turn west? northwest and require 20 hours to reach the coast.

Now nothing is predictable about a hurricane. But there are a few things that can be expected.
As the storm moves northerly or westerly over land it will only loose strength. It already is a storm that only has 75 mile per hour winds. It is being reported now that it is not the strength of the storm but it's size that is unusual. so more people get wet, so what.

New York has discussed shutting down it's subway? Over 75 mile per hour winds and rain? Really? what kind of weather do you all get in New York?

I did see another comment about concern for storm surge and it being a full moon. Really does the moon being full make any difference in how much it effects the tides? A full moon does not mean the moon got bigger. just more of it is lit up in our direction. It does not have any more gravitational pull on the earth. "Oh My god, why couldn't this storm hit when we can't see the moon? oh the horror".

At one time I heard this is supposed to be some sort of perfect storm thing though with the hurricane meeting a cold front. I can't find much on that though. At any rate you have a pansy storm that is only gong to get the crap kicked out of it for the next 12 hours or so before it makes a move that will kick more of the crap out of it before it really reaches anyone. And the problem is?

#11 ·
I did see another comment about concern for storm surge and it being a full moon. Really does the moon being full make any difference in how much it effects the tides? A full moon does not mean the moon got bigger. just more of it is lit up in our direction. It does not have any more gravitational pull on the earth. "Oh My god, why couldn't this storm hit when we can't see the moon? oh the horror"
You might check your facts on the relationship between the moon and the tides.

#19 ·
I live in St Marys County, Southern most southern Maryland. Potomac River to my West, Patauxent River to my East and Joins the Chesapeake Bay to my South. This time of year, the tides are extreme. "Normal, could be four feet with out wind. Add wind blowing water up the rivers, add storm surge. It is not a pretty scenario. Isabelle, which was 2003 I believe, had a storm surge of 22 feet! That means if you were ten feet above normal water table on shore, you would be 12 feet under water. We had to nail twelve foot 2x4s on the floating pier pilings at the Marina so they would not float away.
You want to talk about wind and shear bursts? See, there isn't too much in the way of the wind coming across to ocean and then up the Bay and Rivers. Isabelle blew two and three foot diameter oaks over like tooth picks along the western shore of the Bay. Sandy is predicted to turn a little sooner, according to the last model, so I'm looking at something close to hurricane winds. Lots of down trees and no power for possibly days. Not cryin the blues, just sayin, ain't lookin forward to it. No surge will reach my house, but I will not be going anywhere for several days. I got an extra room if anyone would like to see for themselves LOL

#22 ·
Back to the original question. Go to Home Depot and pick up a couple of the steel screw in-ground anchors (they are about 2 ft X 3 in.). and some racheting straps. Strap the hive to the screw the anchors into the ground and then atach the straps to them and over the hive(s). Good luck to all in the storms path.

#23 ·
That's why this one is a bit un nerving. Too many systems coming together. Made a movie about one up in Glouster:) Micro bursts was the term I was looking for. Like a shear wind on steroids.
Fill a large bowel half water. Tip it to one side. That is the earth tilt. The Pull of the Moon and sun on the opposing side as the earth spins. The tide rushes back in on a roughly 12 hour cycle. All this rain will be coming my way from all the headwaters as far up as Penn. and surrounding states,When the tide comes in, the storm surge, and the wind blowing as a Nor easter, the water has no where to go. It piles up and out.
LOL, it may not be much of a storm, but, it is the only one we got right now.
Just like generators, the hardware store was out of screw down thingies. Must be a lot of bee keepers near me. LOL

#24 ·
I have been through several hurricanes with my hives 1 deep 3 supers confirguation, and as long as you did not go into them prior to the storm they should be fine from wind. Propolis is some great glue :) and the bees will sense the drop in pressure. The winds I have been in have been 75-105 MPH and out of 10 hives I only lost 1 top. The real threat is the rain/flooding...If you are in low lying areas you can put some sand bags around the base of the hives which will give you several inches of breathing room you can also close off the bottom entrence make a tempory upper entrence and let the bees glue the lower entrence down. Either way..Good luck to you Northerners.

#33 ·
If you are in low lying areas you can put some sand bags around the base of the hives which will give you several inches of breathing room you can also close off the bottom entrence make a tempory upper entrence and let the bees glue the lower entrence down. Either way..Good luck to you Northerners.
This is a good post, but. . . If they propolis the entrance after you put the spacer in there to cause them to use a upper entrance, then what you may have basically is a sealed bucket able to fill up. I use upper entrances standard, and I have drilled a hole in the bottom board and put 1/8" hardware cloth stapeled to cover the hole to act as a drain. (I think it also helps with ventilation) I've read of someone using upper entrances and water got into the hive and flooded it out that way.

#25 ·
Eddie, Now that adds something to the equation for me. I am aware that this storm is supposed to be a collision of a hurricane and for something unknown. At best it bring up ideas of the perfect storm type Senerio. No idea of what a Noreaster is about.

#26 ·
DY
The Nor easter thing is the direction of the wind. NOT NORMAL. Where we are, that means the wind blows the water into/up/ away from the ocean, and nothing else has anywhere to go. The creeks overflow to where ever.
I think the hives do fine under normal extreme weather. Deeps are not much of a sail unless they are as tall as you are. LOL and propolis is a friend.
I hope it is just hype. Better to prepare for the worst and it not happen,than to have the worst happen and not have been prepared. You all may write that down and share with your friends LOL
There are 20 MPH winds all the time, and the storm is how far away from here????
bad words bad words bad words:)

#29 ·
With the weather having become a way for our state's main television station to drive ratings, it's hard to know when a storm is actually going to be a problem. In this case, however, I figured its safer for my bees if I am a believer. Today I strapped 18 hives to their stands. Since I have 3-4 hives per stand, it will take one heck of a wind to knock over approx 300 lbs of hives and stand, especially since both yards are protected from the north by woods. I'm actually more concerned about a limb or tree falling on them. Second time in 3 years I've had to tie them down due to what's left of a hurricane so,it was quick and easy to do. Good luck to everyone involved.

John

#31 ·
ersatzS2,

My set-up is similar to yours except my hives are on 4" x 4" stands. I have always had ropes over the top of the hive and under the stand. Yesterday I went out and drove a stake into the ground on opposite corners of each stand and then a screw through the stake and into the stand. I am hoping all will be well. It's been only rain so far, but the wind will be coming.

Imkerwannabee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.