Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

pupm information

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Steves1967 
#1 ·
Thanks all
as all of us I am getting older but now smarter
I am looking for pump information, I have about 100 hives and growing.
what is the difference between pumps sold as honey pumps and a food grade pump?
what should I be looking for in a pump?
I would like to use the pump, to pump from the extractor to a storage tank then from storage to fill 5 gal pails then from pails in warming tank to a bottling tank.
Price of food grade pump is 1/5 of that a cheap honey pump why? comparing a brass pump to a brass pump

or do you just eat the cost and buy a good Vermont flexi pump

needing help
Steve the Bee

#3 ·
they can be brass or stainless, the key is you can take it apart to clean it. Maxtant and kellys are way overpriced. Check ebay for a Cherry Burell pump. the key is sizing it to your needs. flow rate.
Personaly right now I am useing a diaphram chemical pump, 12 volts. take honey from a drum to my botteling tank no problem, High volume, low pressure.

#5 ·
Sorry, but no.... For a "setup" its not bad, but a little research goes a long way in a bad economy!.....
want to help?? make up some good maps and plans for honey house systems. I have been confounded trying to find good info for med scale producers. Such as when and how to use settleing tanks, or clarifiers, or... as you know. real pain trying to layout something for a small scale.

#9 ·
Maxant does have two diagrams of set ups on their site, but they dont list prices, which tells me if I have to ask it is to expensive. Love their products, especially because they are American made, But I just hate their prices. It is the only reason I dont buy from them. What ever pump you buy make sure it has a relief valve on it. If the filter clogs or the output line gets blocked for some reason you can get a real mess on your hands very quickly.

#10 ·
GMcharlie, do a google search for canadian honey house plans, seems to me I saw some from them. Otherwise, I think Dadant's had some in the handout at their big 150th party. I will try to look for them.

If you plan ahead, you do not need a pump. Our extractor is upstairs, the tank downstairs, on stilts, high enough to get a barrel under the drain valve. Granity has yet to fail, thank you Mr. Newton.

Crazy Roland

#11 ·
Thanks, I will look on the mentioned sites. I did find the one on Candian site. But to me it appeared way to large, As a small producer its been confusing, trying to understand the differnt systems and the pros and cons of each. seperator? flash heater? in line filter? wax processing?? all different levels. Liek Kellys baffle seperator tank, looks nice but holds a lot of honey. assuming it works best at some given flow rate?? I would like a small system that doens't hold 50 gallons just to get the lines full....
So for the moment stuck with a sump, and several strainer filters and some drums......

#12 ·
Looking at Stepplers layout i realized i really may have mixed up words. I am a ME who specilizes in work flow, so layout IS the WRONG term......
My apoligies. What I was really looking for was better info on which when and why certian equipment, and whats the best order. I have been lucky enough to be in some huge honey houses, and seen a lot of differnt setups. couldn't begin to tell you the Plus and minuses of any of them..., and what would be optimal for 100-200 hives. so maybe the best wat to look at it would be a cpl of "packages" based on expected volumes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.