Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Recycling Jars for honey storage

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  icehal6 
#1 ·
I'm sure some of you recycle jars for honey storage. This will be my first time extracting, so I am cleaning up jelly jars, pasta jars, etc. I have cleaned them thoroughly but the caps still retain the scent of the jelly or the pasta sauce. Does this affect the honey? Let me know your experiences with this. Thanks.

#3 ·
I reuse mason Jars with new lids. If a customer brings back a jar I give him .50 off his purchase. if they bring their own jar and lid for me to fill from one of my fives I give them a buck of a quart jar, and .75 off a pint. In this way I keep things consistent on my shelves. If you are simply doing honey for yourself. a great many jars can use mason jar lide. thus you can avoid the posability of flavor corruption.

#5 ·
I did this my first year around. Jelly jars, salsa jars, peanut butter jars, plastic nut containers (the big ones) -- none of them seemed to affect my flavor. The only caution I have is for nut containers because of nut allergies -- especially if you're giving the honey as gifts.

If you have a really bumper crop, see if your local bakery will give you plastic buckets they will otherwise recycle or trash. I can get 1-gallon and 3-gallon food-grade buckets for free this way. The 3-gallon ones will hold about 35 pounds of honey if 2/3 full. Any more than that and the handle might not take it.

If you keep an eye out at garage sales, and use word-of-mouth, it's astonishing how many canning jars (of all sizes) you can collect without spending retail costs.

#6 ·
Good to hear. I actually boiled the lids of the pasta jars this morning and it seemed to take away almost all traces of pasta sauce scent. If nothing else they are thoroughly sterilized. Definitely going to be looking into some yard sales. Thanks.

#9 ·
I use pasta and jelly jars after running them through the dishwasher. I've found dish washing detergent is often much harsher and includes a form of bleach. That does the job on residual smell and even takes out the red from the pasta sauce. I look for the lids with the edge turned away from the jar. They clean up real easy. Near all of my pasta jars are actually mason jars with threads that match standard lids.

Even if stored, I'll load them into the dishwasher, run and bottle so they're handled only once before filling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.