Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Nuc timing

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  beemandan 
#1 ·
I'm planning to overwinter as many nucs as I can in the fall/winter of 2009-2010. I'm trying figure out when the latest time to make a nuc would be for simply overwintering them. Here are my approximate nectar flows:

May 1st - June 15th...very strong spring flow. A hive that built up really well in the spring will put up between 25-50lbs of harvestable honey.

June 15th - July 1st....a weak flow. A good hive will still put up 15lbs of harvestable honey.

July 1st - August 15th durring this flow a good hive will usually put up 50-100lbs of harvestable honey.

August 15th...derth.

Then we usually have a fall flow, but it seems to be a little hit and miss.

Anyway....I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to make nucs around August 10th. If I can, I'd like to split each hive into four nucs and overwinter. So my question is, would this be to late to make nucs for overwintering?

#2 ·
sounds like a very local question...

I think/suspect michael palmer does about as you describe. he might be the best authority as far as your question is concerned.

I would have ideas in regards to doing the same here.... but the limitations here are quite a bit different from those at your location (at least that is what I suspect).

#3 ·
Anyway....I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to make nucs around August 10th.
The downside, from what you've described, is that you'll be making your nucs at the beginning of a nectar dearth. If you will have enough drawn comb and don't need the girls to draw any additional....then that wouldn't be an issue.
Otherwise, since I'm not a northern beekeeper I'll let those who are add their two cents worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.