Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dandelion seed purchase/planting

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  challenger 
#1 ·
I would like to plant dandelion for next spring. All I've read say plant in the early Spring. I also am going to plant clover which I will do soon. Is Spring the correct time to sow and still get dandelion flowers? I would think Fall would allow germination and then Spring flowers? Any good place to purchase?
I am in SE NC which, I think, is listed as zone 8 but my exact area is a solid zone 9.
Thanks
Howard

#3 ·
Dandelion in Indiana seeds itself in late summer. It grows well in the fall, overwinters, and takes off in early spring. If you seed in spring, you won't get flowers till maybe late June, July. You may get it sooner since you are in a warmer climate. I never knew you could buy seed. We get our fair share all summer. Rick

#6 ·
I've found that if I keep the grass cut low, the dandelions then have a much better chance of growing. They always do better for me that way. This year I mowed the field here and my timing must have been good, the dandies really took off and covered the field.

#14 ·
Being a cattle producer, one of our jobs is grass or pasture management... grass producer first!

Grass roots are in direct ratio to the height of the grass on top of the soil. Thus, short grass has a short tap root system only taking advantage of the top couple of inches of soil moisture. It is why one sees such dry yards in a drought so very quickly. The longer the grass, the deeper the roots, and more widely spread out.

Cutting the grass short, enables the dandilions to grow to extremes because they get the majority of the moisture and the majority or the nutrients in the soil. Letting the grass get a bit longer tends to choke them out because grass is very nutrient dependant. When the grass is longer it also spreads out the roots not only downward but also to the sides, choking out any seeds.

Please note this is about grass only and not forages like clover in the grass.

#11 ·
I have read that Dandelion is one of the first sources of nectar in the spring.
Here is what I found at Johnny's select seeds on the dandelion.

Dandelion
DAYS TO GERMINATION: 7-21 days
SOWING TIME: Spring, Summer, or Fall
SEEDING METHOD: Direct or Transplant
SUNLIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun
PLANT HEIGHT: 8-18"
PLANT SPACING: 4-6"
HARDINESS ZONES: Zones 3-10

Additional Information
Days to Maturity or Bloom: 95 -365
Number of seed per oz. avg. 45,000

#15 ·
I have sewn a fair share of my own dandelion seeds from my own "crop" but I am looking to plant them in a lot of other areas. I am not planting them with the clover thanks.
In my area they are one of the best foraging plans in February and sometimes up until March. Also in my area there are few nectar producers that can survive the heat & humidity. Typically we get 6-8 weeks maximum in late April-early June & then it is a dearth except for Devils walking stick & Sumac which do OK for a summertime "snack". I am going to try for a Fall crop off a couple of my strongest hives this year because we have had a lot of rain and I planted 3-4 acres of Buckwheat which is just blooming and should prime things for the goldenrod/asters.
I will get some seeds from a supplier somewhere and talk to them before I plant I suppose.
Thanks
Howard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.