Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Wood preservative

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  balhanapi 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the response
I was concerned about it being safe for the bees. I have no experience with paints whatsoever. I made a hive myself so was looking for a good exterior preservative. I went down to lowes and bought this one. Then it occurred to me about safety of my girls. :)

#4 ·
Hi,
I have been painting for 41yrs and would not put this on my hives unless I was not going to put bees in for about a month. That product is solvent based and it takes awhile for the solvent to evaporate. I would suggest 100 % acrylic latex solid stain ,2 coats or 1 coat of ext. latex primer and one coat of 100% acrylic latex house paint. Much safer for you and the bees.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I am not in a hurry I guess it will be a month before I can put bees in that hive due to our weather. If it is safe after drying up its okay with me. but if It will give off an odour which will not be liked by bees then its another story.

Has anybody used this stuff? any experiences?

#7 ·
Sorry if I am sounding stupid, what is the difference between a primer a sealer and a stain?

I wan't a natural colour to my hives. I don't like paint. I just want weatherproofing to protect the wood. what should I use?
Thanks guys for all the help.

I just have 2 hives in my backyard, both overwintered well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.