Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bulk honey prices and market outlook

824K views 1K replies 169 participants last post by  The Honey Householder 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Deflation , then inflation and currently a whole bunch of de-leaverageing going on in this crazy economy, which I hear from the majority with crystal balls, that is only going to get worse as a recession or a depression .
Heard some packers had dropped their offering prices......... hadn't noticed any downward pricing going on the store shelf's,to the contrary , prices were actually going up there.
A Canadian honey broker recently had a offer out for 1.50 Canadian,picked up in your yard, drums lost , for 10 loads, alot of phone calls later the order was filled and she is working on another order for the same price,I hear. Canadian dollar was trading around 1.25 US. That may be GOOD PRICE at present market conditions........ but I doubt it.I don't think supply and demand have entered the big picture yet.Other Current Canadian offers were 1.40. UK honey is selling at up to £2.30 per pound in BULK- source Bee -L.
Maybe that supply and demand won't enter the pic if the packers get there way.

I must remind myself that honey is not one of those necessity foods like bread and milk and that I don't need to be quite as greedy as some of those wall street folks

#763 ·
2012 honey market outlook..............................HOPELESS. Even at 2.00/lb with rising fuel and operating costs, you would be better of at .80/lb in 1985 terms. Add to this the up and comming hobbists and sideliners along with our very own domestic commercial beeks importing honey and labeling as their own, bees are where you can make the money to survive, or sell yoru honey to gypsies. The commercial honey market is doomed.

#765 ·
Could you please cite an example where a hobbyist or sideliner has imported honey and labeled it as their own? Just curious since I've never heard of any of the beeks that I know doing that. In fact they're proud of the fact that the honey they have is their honey and not some imported slop. When it's gone it's gone, which is why it goes for premium pricing. I have people lining up to buy my honey and don't even blink at the price I sell it at. All they hear is "local, no chemicals used, limited supply, raw" == really good stuff.

I think that your statement about the commercial honey market being doomed is pure hyperbole. I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

#767 · (Edited)
Simplyhoney's prediction may be true, if we look in the past at record breaking honey prices they are short peaks in waves that go down as well as up.A rising tide that fails to lift all boats is not good.Those packers who lost their supply of cheap funny honey have to buy their honey somewhere.There are as many crooks and thieves in this business as there is on Wall Street and maybe more. The Market is manipulated accordingly to who wants what. Business laws., ethic's seem to fall by the wayside when greed enters the picture.Product of USA may be open to some one's legal interpretation

A certain Canadian broker who was ,is paying 1.65 picked up at producers dock in western Canada, is offering one,two or 10 drums to small Quebec producer packers for 2.25......maybe she should change her name to Rich Source ,like in True Source

#768 ·
Simplyhoney is only making as a statemnt what Ron Phipps told us as a question. Mr. Phipps alluded to some very big honey packers getting caught in the squeeze, thanks to forward contracts. If you want to live in denial, that's OK by me, but the smart money will accept the 'heads-up' from Mr. Phipps and take action accordingly.

If I had big contracts with big supermarket chains to supply honey, I would be hoping and praying that supermarkets are kind and forgiving entities. Forward contracts are pretty binding! It wasn't a few back yard beekeepers who closed down Enron, Citibank and Bear Sterns.

The best way to sell honey at the moment, is to hand it to someone with a fifty dollar bill in their hand.

In God we Trust. All others should pay cash. If you think gold keeps bankers honest, you are about to see what honey does to societies.

Happy is the man with his tank full!

Cheers,

JohnS

#777 · (Edited)
Packer called to lock in loads of 2012 crop at over $2. Told them I'll roll the dice since I've been getting $.22 more then offered. These are the same packers that low balled the beekeepers for somany years and some went out of business. Sorry I have to take care of the customers that has kept me in business, and I don't have to wait for my money.
It's harder for the packers to work the beekeeper over when there isn't any honey in there warehouse.:thumbsup:

#780 ·
I used to hear this when I sold honey to packers in barrels. "We are paying $X.00 per pound for honey, but we aren't buying any." Then, when they do buy some, they don't pay what they said. Got to know how to play the game and make your best bet.

Like Honey Householder mentioned, having a buyer that pays when you deliver is worth something. Maybe a cpl of cents or more. And a track record of paying is good to have too.

#781 ·
I was offered $1.95/lb for 200 barrels. Sold most of it locally for $2.25. From my personal experience and discussions, with prices of managing hives escalating and the increasing awareness of quality honey prices for my honey has only been going up the past two years. Kicking myself for selling at $1.50 a few years ago.

#785 ·
Lets hope so. Swarm Trapper is right on the mark with current offerings by major packers though that ELA price may be a bit low. I am sure that there will be a bit of a downtick as new crop honey comes in but I really don't see any reason that honey prices shouldn't continue trending up long term. To me the most encouraging thing is how steadily and consistently prices have risen giving consumers time to adjust without "sticker shock" reducing sales. I just recently saw 1# Sue Bee spun honey on the shelf at over $7.00 Wow!

#786 ·
As a producer and supplier. I'm seeing a greater demand for honey this year, because of last years shortage. I've had all my customer call looking for honey already, because they are sold out early this year. On top of my customers I've had a lot of new customers looking for honey too. So where does a supplier set there price for that kind of demand.

I know packers have contracts to fill, but as a producer I've taken the risks for years with little pay. Times have changed and people want to know where there honey is coming from and the beekeepers are there to sell it to them. As a producer I'm glad to sell to those beekeepers.:thumbsup:

#787 ·
There is a beekeeping and honey mania going on which might end as fast as it appeared. Take advantage of it while you can.

#791 ·
wixon was offering 1.85 a lb and not finding any takers. Since I'm short of honey the people I sell to have been looking around for it, one found 5 gal pails at 2.35lb the other at 2.50lb others have been looking and around and there just isn't much honey so I would guess the price will just keep going up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.