Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

new to bees

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  indypartridge 
#1 ·
i have a hive that my dad had. he passed away in nov. of 2004 and the hive hasnt been touched since. now i have a interest in beekeeping. the cows got out and knocked the hive over- the shallow super and outer cover seperated from the main hive. they were doing fine in the fall, but it was cold when the hive was knocked over. i couldnt hear them, are they probably o.k. ? also i moved them so this wouldnt happen again. do they need shade?

#3 ·
'intrested in beekeeping now' ooww you are sooo hooked now.
symptos include....
cant sleep at night thinking about bees

cant find anough to reed about bees

looking at every flower you walk by

start selling eveyr thing you own to buy more hives ext.ext. and soo on.

looks like you been bit my friend.

Dwayne.S
vernon N.Y.

#6 ·
cool!

sound like you're good to go
since we are going to have a few days of nice weather you might want to feed them a little. get a 5 lb bag of sugar and mix it in a bucket with about a half gallon of water. put some leaves and stuff on the surface so they have something to stand on and sit it near the hive. This will encourage them to think spring is here and start to build up. if you do this you'll need to continue until something starts blooming so they have the food they need to raise their young, but around here some early stuff will be blooming in a few weeks
I suggest this since you said they had been knocked over and they may need a little help. you also might want to lift the back of the hive and get an idea how heavy it is. this will give you an indication of whether or not they need to be fed

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.