Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Commerical Beeks/Pollination New Category?

23K views 61 replies 27 participants last post by  beehoppers 
#1 ·
Mods, any chance to start a new category concerning Pollination and Commercial Beekeeping for Commercial beeks to share ideas, raise issues, etc?

Anyone else interested in this, please chime in so that mods know there is an interest in this category with forum members. Thanks all

Sorry Mods if I went about this the wrong way.

#6 ·
I would hope that it would not turn into something like that. It's an excellent way for commercial beeks to share information regarding commercialization and things that work and idea sharing that can make the business easier.

Additionally, it would be a great source for those who are hobbyist and are thinking of going commercial to get basic information about what is involved in making it a business and what is needed to get started and maintain.

I truly think it would be a great forum. We have some great people out there with generations of experience and it would be an excellent place to get that knowledge to the rest of us.

#9 ·
I would hope that it would not turn into something like that. It's an excellent way for commercial beeks to share information regarding commercialization and things that work and idea sharing that can make the business easier.
The problem is it usually does turn into something like that. From colony management to honey sales the processes for a commercial beekeeper are about making a profit. They do not have the time to baby colonies nor do they have time to check every frame of every colony once a month or so. This is their livelyhood and it is built around that bottom line, time management, cutting costs, bulk purchases, bulk sales etc.

I enjoy hearing what they have to say. I also hope that people can appreciate that a commercial outfit has a different perspective and often different methods and leave it at that.

That said, I won't hold my breath!

#15 ·
LOL, see, here it comes!! And we didn't even start the forum yet!!:D

John says it takes a strong back and a weak mind to be a beekeeper, commercial or otherwise.;). This may well be the case. Not pointing fingers, and present company excluded of course.
I am wondering, Harry, at what point (number of hives) would you go to all caps? Should I guess your answer will be one more than you run? I suggest one more than we run.:)
Sheri

#19 ·
Thanks Connie, I agree, when I go to my Commercial Beekeeper friends in Wi. its just an awesome time. The owners even takes the time to show me around. And when I first started they showed me how to find the queen, the eggs, and even gave me some old wooden ware to help get me started. Not to mention all the other beeks that come in and I get to meet them and sit around and talk and talk and talk....LOL
So you see Admin/ Commercial Beekeepers, there are some that would like to see a new forum start so we can gleen from the big beeks, even if its a permission only type forum. Heck I would even throw myself in front of the bus or train for you guys.... :D:D:D:D
Thanks again, T.G.

#22 ·
Flint >I'm just a hobbyist, but I've worked for a couple of commercial outfits in the past

Flint, you are one lucky person. I envy you.

tileguy > And when I first started they showed me how to find the queen, the eggs, and even gave me some old wooden ware to help get me started.

and tileguy I envy you.

#30 ·
And then we have beekeepers with hundreds/thousands of hives who "target" us with only one or two hives as "idiots" for doing what we do, lol.

A "commercial forum" would be good. I thought that was General Forum and the 101 Forum was for the others. Maybe we need a forum, .001 or .050?

#24 ·
I have no strong feeling one way or another about starting a new forum. However, the idea about making it hidden or private in order to avoid annoying posters is silly and goes against the free exchange of ideas. I would be interested in hearing more about how the commercial people do things. Most of us understand that there are necessary differences due to labor, etc.

If there are annoying people starting a flame war, you can put those people on your ignore list and/or the moderators can get involved if necessary. Excluding interested people in attempt to civilize the internet doesn't make sense to me.

#25 ·
Here is kind of why I think we need a new forum.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220132

I know that these guys are just playing around with their answers, but if this guy was serious he would be able to get a good idea about what it takes to do it, if it could be done, how much time, costs, etc,etc...

instead, he is getting little or no info as opposed to reading info from posts that deal with commercial beekeeping.

#26 ·
I concur with alpha6 on this point. Myself having around 100 hives I guess I would not quite be considered commercial, but if things keep going the way they are now I will be there next season (I've been told the magic number is 300).

#38 ·
2 cents, 2 tenths, 2 100ths, even Keith's second nickel, add them all up, the readers will be sure to get their money's worth.

Oldbee, I have never heard of any commercial operator calling hobbyists (in general, there are individual exceptions;)) idiots. If anything we are jealous. You actually get weekends off, lol.
Sheri

#39 ·
Actually, weekends are when we work the bees. During the week we work our regular jobs that get us the money to afford the bees.
Not to put down any commercial beeks. I know you guys work seven day weeks too.
Having worked both sides, I know that the hobby-side is definetly much more relaxing and enjoyable. As a hobbyist, when the bees aren't doing well, I'm disappointed, but my paycheck is unaffected. Plus, I can really spend a lot of time with each individual hive, get to know them personally, which is the enjoyable part for me. Getting some surplus honey at the end of the year and seeing some hives survive the winter is the bonus part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.