Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

raw honey

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jorgea 
#1 ·
Sometimes I see raw honey that has a creamy white appearance, how do you get your honey to look like this?

#2 ·
its creamed honey, get some creamed honey as a starter, a drill and a creaming screw, mix a small amount of starter in with honey and run the Creaming Screw two to three times a day for 2 to 3 days to insure equal distribution for each batch you cream. This screw is 24" long so you can actually do the creaming in a honey tank. This Creaming Screw mixes your honey without mixing in any air

#3 ·
If it's creamed honey, it isn't RAW. RAW honey is unheated. Creamed honey is made by heating a batch of honey to a temp which clears all possible crystals and then is seeded w/ some previously creamed starter when the honey is at about 100 degrees.

If RAW Honey appears white, it probably isn't very soft or smooth. It just turns out that color.

#6 ·
>If it's creamed honey, it isn't RAW. RAW honey is unheated. Creamed honey is made by heating a batch of honey to a temp which clears all possible crystals and then is seeded w/ some previously creamed starter when the honey is at about 100 degrees.

Mine isn't. I never heat my creamed honey. I just add some fine starter and keep it in the 57 F area of temperature. I NEVER heat it and I don't recommend heating it as you'll ruin the flavor.

#8 ·
yes the best way is right out of the extractor. but if it sets to long it can start to crystallize. some say a commercial sead is better than its own or something you have started. because its been perfected and you can make a batch without worry of quality. so if there crystals in it you can heat to kill it and start of with a commercial sead

#10 ·
...we sell honey from Kirk Webster...most think it is creamed or whipped....but that is just how this honey sets up on its own. One customer looked.at.under huh magnification...microscope. he said that the crystals were all diiferent sizes (all small....a.creamy texture) , but that creamed honey has more uniform size crystals.
We sell all.of our honey naturally crystallized....kirks is unique in its fine texture.
Deknow

#11 ·
For the uninitiated reading these posts. The seed is mixed in tanks or buckets, but don't get the impression that you let it set up in those large containers! Have the intended containers in hand. Deli containers from Sams are cheap for example. Once upon a time I thought to hasten the process while I ordered containers by making a bucket full. I had the messy job of gouging the congealed mess out of the bucket and mixing in some liquid honey to get it in my containers. It sold but it did not have a nice appealing smooth surface but looked lumpy and I hade to explain why a hundred times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.