Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

mother - daughter duo queens photo

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  flyingbrass 
#1 ·
I noticed about 1 month ago that my 3 year old Carniolan breeder queen was being super-ceded. She has been a great producer of 8 or 10 nucs and probably 45 or 50 daughters. Checked today and look what I found, mother - daughter duo with daughter doing the egg laying.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa420/drone11/003.jpg

#6 ·
I grafted from my best solid black carnie and many of the daughters are the black with chocolate stripes like yours is . They are amazing hybrids and are one of my favorite types for this year. It's hard to say exactly what these blends are. They have a fast build up but are not burr comb crazy in any open spot like the straight Carnies I had.
Neat photo!

#12 ·
I thought a hive can have only one queen. Why these two can coexist and not kill each other?
I don't know. But I suspect that their queen scent is identical and that the old queen's scent and pheromones waned just at the right proportions while the new queen matured so as to maintain balance.

What I wonder is, why are they so close to each other? Coincidence? Or do they stay in relative proximity all the time? What's the benefit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.