Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bees ripped off?

30K views 83 replies 26 participants last post by  Steelton Bee Man 
#1 ·
I am part of a group of beeks for West Virginia. We sent 400 hives to Ca. through a broker in Ohio. Our bees were inspected before they went for diseases, strenth, etc. They were delivered in December. The growers claimed they were in good shape. A month ago we received good reports. Now that the pollination season out there is over the growers claim that all our bees are diseased, most of them dead and they are not going to pay a cent. It will cost us $44 for each hive to get them back.

The main person running this operation has sent bees to the same farm for 7 years the only difference was the bee broker was different this year.

Much of this sounds fishy. I was told that a load of bees only cost 7,000 dollars to haul. That is roughly $16 a hive, not $44.

It seems that we sent bees, they used them, then stole them.

Is there anything we can do? Lawsuit? Should we send someone to inspect them?

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Ed

See less See more
#62 ·
Finally we are learning something, at least from one side of the story. We should wait to hear the other side. Then see what lessons can be learned that will benefit the entire industry so that we individually and maybe as an industry through our associations and organizations can make sure this sort of thing does not happen again, whatever happened, since it appears this is not what should happen. If I understand LSPEnder, he makes it appear that this sort of thing is just a random chance or risk, and I think we all agree that random chance and risks are what good and MODERN management and independent mutually agreed operating procedures could avoid, for them, for us, for everyone in the future. So, we wait. (I like Loggermike's animated smily face icon, imho)

So we wait for, as Paul Harvey used to say: THE REST OF THE STORY.

#63 ·
Some of you might have noticed your posts have disappeared from this thread. Some were deleted due to being off topic, uncivil or inflammatory, but some were moved to a new thread on this forum titled "Can we prevent the "Bees Ripped Off" nightmares?.
I will stick that thread to the top for a day or two so it is easy to find, then let it float.
Sheri

#66 ·
Me neither (they certainly are not "Made-Offs"), but I do want to wait and see all the facts from all sides before making any judgments, and then pondering it all, to see if there are solutions, remedies, and most important prevention tips from we all will benefit from helping here.

#70 ·
Bees ripped off update!

Well it has been some time since i posted an update. The reason is that i was asked not to from the others in our group. We did find many of our bees, in almonds of all places, pollinating, of all things. Many of our hives were stolen. Many that were not had the middle frames pulled and replaced with empty frames. The word that i am getting is several thousand dollars switched hands from the farmer to the broker and that the broker kept it. I am not trying to defame or incriminate nor slander anyone, but am just giving the message i received.

Our broker sent me a paper saying that my bees all were infested with every imaginable brood disease, etc. That they were dead and if i wanted to pay $44 for each hive he would arrange for them to come back. We declined and a group from our group went out personally and retrived our bees. We still had to pay $44 a hive to get them back. My bees had no disease and were strong. I personally received 70% of my colonies back, and they were strong enough that i needed to super them as soon as they came back.

Those who say they have personal knowledge of our bees and they were not strong enough are mistaken about our load. I am not saying that there were not other loads from WV that were not up to par, i can't speak for those, but ours were. The so called private investigator who "knows" so much either is friends with the theives or inspected some of our bees after they had frames stolen. But my bees were full and strong and pollinated almonds, at this point for free.

Hard to tell how many nucs were sold or packages shook out of our bees.

I want to thank all those who were concerned and offered to go and look for my bees. It means a lot.

#74 ·
This problem may be more widespread than we have previously been led to believe....those of us that question "California Dreamin" and other excuses. In Science, there are many theories, the general scientific or logical rule is that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Ed "Steelton Man" offers not only the simplest explanation but also eye witness verification.

There is a joke about a wife who walks in on her cheating husband, and the cheating husband says to his wife, nothing happened, who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?

This will be a good learning experience as we now get more details and come up with various methods to protect ourselves from this.

#76 ·
I am wondering about the $44 also. That seems really high for shipping one way. Does this include the trip out also?
From here in Wisconsin I think we paid about $4700 one way. WV is further of course but even at double that the numbers just don't jive unless it is both ways and not a full load.
Truly an unfortunate situation.
Sheri

#80 ·
Jesse James

There was a fairly famous bee thief here in the central valley who told the judge at sentencing that he wanted to be remembered as the Jesse James of the beekeeping industry. One of his favorite scams was contracting for pollination, 50% on delivery. When grower calls for delivery, just cruise a few miles around, move em in, 50%, cash check, JOB IS DONE. Don't see much difference here.

#81 ·
Very good point, it takes less time to brand iron the top bar of ten frames than to brand iron the wood hive box. All good management BEST PRACTICES as this points out, and it makes what is usually misdemeanor theft automatically felony theft in several jurisdictions if the equipment stolen had a registered brand i.e. brandname or regisration number on it. Get the 1 inch or for frames 3/4th inch minimum height all in bold letters like arial block is usually best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.