Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

wax mill

12K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  beeman2009 
#1 ·
What is everyones thoughts on buying a wax mill once established in beekeeping ? a new metal roller mill is 1150 bucks + tax vs buying foundation ? i have been debating this and right now it's probably not an option for me , but once i grow i think i could save enough money to have the mill paid for over time.

Ben

http://www.glorybee.com/shop/Beeswax-Foundation-Mill.html

#2 ·
We just had a demonstration at our last bee meeting on how to make foundation with a mold. It's pretty easy and cost around $10 for all the supplies to make it(not including wax). You basically make two hinged wood frames that each have a plaster mold in them. Pour wax and close them together. Let it cool for 30-40 seconds and remove the sheet of wax. You don't even have to trim it to size.

#7 ·
It is similar to some I have seen on youtube as well except you use plaster in wood frames instead of making very costly silicone molds. At $10 per mold you can afford to make 3 for deep, med, and shallow foundation. If it doesn't work for you or you don't like it the most you are out is $10 and your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.