Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Why do beekeepers argue so much?

30K views 97 replies 40 participants last post by  BeeCurious 
#1 ·
One thing i have learned since i stated beekeeping that most older beekeepers just can't seem to get along.
I know if you post a good question{like should i fog} ya get so many replys and some get down right nasty i think it's great because buy the time they get done ranting all the questions do get answers plus it's great entertainment in the winter .
One reson i didn't join a bee club was just that to much our way is best and thats it.
So to all you guys that argue thank you it works for me:)
I know the only 2 beekeepers i have meet have been mean one real bad and one so so geuss alot of stress trying to make money from bees.

#3 ·
It could be because their life depends on many factors such as weather, inflation, new laws to deal with and so on, another possibility is how many fly by night people who want all the advice they can get and then either drop out of beekeeping or they start to argue with years of knowledge that their mentor has.

I like crotchety old beekeepers and farmers, they have experienced a lot over the years, good times and bad, so they are a wealth of knowledge if you can endure the grumpiness! Another reason they could be mean is because they are tired. Someone who relies on agriculture for a living basically never stops working, if not physically they are working mentally and have 1000 things going through their mind.

One thing about "mean" farmers and beekeepers, if you prove yourself to them they will doing just about anything for you.

#4 ·
I really must take issue with the assertion that beekeepers love to argue. I am sure there was a study published somewhere proving my point, hold on while I google, cut and paste a link proving that somebody somewhere agrees with me. :D

#9 ·
I think most beekeepers are passionate about their bees. And like folks with similar passions for politics or religion their ‘differences’ can become heated.
I don’t believe that it is limited to older beekeepers. I can think of at least a couple of newcomers on Beesource who will argue their points, with vehemence…for however long it takes to get the last word.

#11 ·
Well I think one thing I always try to remember when on a forum is that it is a lot easier to say what you think when the other people aren't staring you in the face ready to debate you. Plus we don't get to see facial and body expressions to help us determine how valid their info is. It's easier to be a professional when all you have to do is log out when somebody calls you out on something. Then there will always be people who survive on creating controversy. And then there's stubborn people. I could have hard cold facts in front of my dad showing him that's he's wrong but he will still insist that he's right.

#13 ·
I know if you post a good question{like should i fog} ya get so many replys and some get down right nasty.
I think sometimes with online dialogs there is a vast difference of perception. I just went through the fogging thread that you started and I didn’t see any nasty comments directed at you or about fogging in general. simply because people disagree doesn't imply, in my opinion, incivility. I see a couple of folks arguing about some guy named Pedro…but really, the thread, overall, appears pretty civil to me.
Different perceptions, I guess.

#18 ·
I didn’t see any nasty comments directed at you or about fogging in general. see a couple of folks arguing about some guy named Pedro…but really, the thread, overall, appears pretty civil to me.
Different perceptions, I guess.
A little history as I see it. Pedro was a veterinarian who had used mineral oil on ear mites in cats I think it was. And I believe he was the first to use fogging on bees he kept in Virginia and Spain. He started with fogging and using cotton cords soaked in fgmo on top bars of the brood chamber. When people complained it didn’t work the discussion got heated about using proper protocol. When he added thymol it got more heated. He did extensive testing on hives both in Spain and Virginia and was ridiculed for not using the scientific method which I think he did. He also had honey and come tested for fgmo contamination and non-was found. Then the test results were ridiculed. I purchased some thymol from him but at the time he was flying to Spain when he arrived in Spain he sent it to me with no extra charge for shipment from Spain. He really wanted to help the beekeepers with an inexpensive treatment. A true Gentle man. I applaud his efforts and hope he is doing well and glad fatbeeman has picked up the torch. I hope this is close to the way it was if I'm off the mark please let me know. Cup of tea???

#14 ·
I put forward three theories.

1..Testosterone. Some guys just can't take, someone else telling them they are wrong, while at the same time, have no problem telling someone else, they are wrong.

2. So many different opinions that a new/inexperienced/small (number of hives, not height), beekeeper can get from different books, videos, forums, etc. (Remember the video of the removal of a colony from a bird house.)

3. So much difference between the small beekeeper, and the larger beekeepers, as to objectives, risk, procedures, capital investment, etc.,

Just my two cents worth, and grossly overpriced. Don't believe anything I post. I'm not a real beekeeper, but, I do play a beekeeper on TV.

cchoganjr

#15 ·
I think that one of the main reasons people get into the various forms of agriculture is due to their personality. I include myself in this. I do not think it is a quirk that we have the reputation of being difficult to deal with. Most of the farmers I have dealt with, and it is a big group, do not want to be told to do anything. They have trouble getting along with neighbors and co-workers, and definately consider their way the only way. So if you have a personality like this what better occupation than agriculture.
Dave

#17 ·
I put forth my own theory: Beekeepers are dispersed far and wide. More often then not they are the foremost bee authorities in their area. They are used to being the only "bee guy" at the local coffee shop and the one that everyone looks to for answers about all things beekeeping. A forum is a whole different deal. Suddenly the guy that everyone looks to for answers is having his methods challenged by someone with a whole different perspective. The person questioning his methods may know a lot or they may be someone with virtually no experience who only knows what they read somewhere. Either way it's a new thing to be challenged about something they have long accepted as a fact. Some enter into constructive dialog and are the better for it, others just get mad.

#19 ·
Anybody on a Forum is usually passionate about the subject. It doesn't matter the subject there are heated debates and differences on all of them. Go on an oil Forum and ask if there is any differences between synthetic and regular oil. Oh man! Or a Harley Forum, and raise the best and worst virtues of a particular model year.

It goes with the territory.

#21 ·
Don't forget Mac that it all started on Bee-l and the majority of his time was spent there. Now for a glass of cold milk! He is a very nice guy. I spent many hours taking his written articles and drawn images and creating PDF files for easy download. They're still floating around the internet. I fully support new ideas and getting the word out. They all have to stand up on their own and pass the test of time however.

#27 · (Edited)
Don't forget Mac that it all started on Bee-l
I didn't know that I didn't follow Bee-l much.
Now for a glass of cold milk!
Is it Raw, goat, cow? sorry off topic ;-}
I fully support new ideas and getting the word out. They all have to stand up on their own and pass the test of time however.
Yes, yes they do and thanks for all the hard work you have done over the years on this forum of yours and I hope ya make a buck or two off the adds

#28 ·
I don't know if it's more arguing or more people like prodding the bull over and over and over..... The other thing is the variables in beekeeping tend to make almost every treatment etc... not 100%. What works for some doesn't work for others... Everyone's bees are different, forage is different, environmental factors different, pests pressure is different.... and on and on and on. Also, a lot of us see the bee world through our bees only and like other says, have no concept of what it is to keep 100 hives, 1000 hives or 10,000 hives.

#33 ·
I think a big factor is that if we have experience we believe in the lessons we have learned from that experience.
Connect that with the fact that we don't keep bees in the same place. So doing the same thing yields different lessons to different bee keepers.

I know I get tired of reading how-to-advice from Yankee beekeepers who keep bees above the MD line and it is a whole different world down here. Just read a book from a very well known writer telling how to do things and he never once mentioned SHB. The first thing I do on a thread is read where the keeper is writing from. A lot of times that tells me my opinion don't mean squat where they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.