Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Russell Apiaries

231K views 504 replies 148 participants last post by  jim lyon 
#1 ·
Anyone have recent contact with Russell Apiaries? Placed an on-line order for queens with them on Jan 20. Payment went through but I have never received an order confirmation from them and all attempt to contact them have failed.

#201 ·
Re: Queens from Russel apiaries

I'll add my .02 experience because at this point I'm getting quite aggravated.

I ordered some German AMM's and Caucasians on 12/24/2011 as a Christmas present to myself for a May delivery date. They were paid for via Paypal and I received the confirmation stating that the transaction went through. As of today, still havent received the queens, nor have I had any response about them except the generic email that stated 'we are behind, sorry for the delay....' I wouldnt think that the demand for German AMM's would be so great that a company couldnt fill an order that was placed over 7 months ago-a total order of only 4 queens ($173) I also don't understand if there were so many problems with storm damaged yards, that they are still listing all of them as "Available,Pick your ship date, Click Paypal" I'm currently going through the Paypal Resoution process, but not expecting much.

#202 ·

This is just too traumatic for me, too much to handle for my lonely and sick heart in one season. I will have to go back to read about the failing word economies, depletion of natural resources, money thirsty preachers and collapsed democracies. I am waiting too and waited last spring and last year for the "Super Queens" -some issues resolved, some not, mostly waiting and waiting like the rest of you; nothing else to report, its not the end of the world -by the way, are you ready for 12/12? as per Mayan Prophesies?

#204 ·

had come from my brother stealing nucs from his hives by taking the center 5 frames from each chamber and replacing them with culled combs that had been sitting in burn piles for years... afb lives in every bee hive, but a huge stress such as this is what caused the infection

Please do a little research BEFORE you make statements that imply that I am a liar. Robert has indeed called his brother a thief!!! I for one do not believe that type of accusation against anyone belongs in a public forum. That is a very serious accusation to make without evidence.That is what I said. Robert Might be a very upstanding and honest individual that just got caught up in his emotions at the time and said something he probably later regretted saying . Any way this is way off topic as this thread was about Russell apiaries customer service . I gave my two cents worth about my experience with them and here I am today having to defend myself against one of his loyal followers. From reading this thread I can say they have a big problem with their customer service. My experience was far from being their only issue in dealing with their customers. Again I wish Robert Russell and his family the best and hope they are able to work out their CS issues.

#205 ·
Wow I had no idea this was going to bring out all of these responses so quickly on an old thread! I believe you can find Roberts comment on page 3 of foulbrood in apiary selling bees. I would not make such a statement without knowing Robert had actually said this. I just ask for the same fairness from others when commenting about me. Thankyou

#206 ·
I always referred to Dr Russell by that title, out of respect, not Robert, the familiar form once reserved for friends. Unfortunately as the queens I ordered last OCTOBER for May delivery are still not here and Russell Apiary still seems to be offering them for sale, my respect for the man is much diminished. If someone could explain to me the difference between what is happening and a Ponzi scheme, PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME! Possibly Michabee can enlighten the respectful and worshippers about how long it took him to get woodware delivered! I suppose poor weather delayed the boards mating before they could be cut.

#207 · (Edited)
I was a "beliver" in RA. I 1st ordered last year 3 Sunkist, out of 3 1 did fantastic, 2 were killed, I took responsibility for being an "unexperienced" Bee Keeper, (which I am not),. So I tried again this year, ordered in Feb for late April delivery. 10 Queens, 5 SK, 2 VSH, 3 Minn. Hyg. got them 2 June, after a couple of false starts,(Vic. E-mailed me claiming to have the order going out 2 weeks earlier). So, already 5 weeks behind schedule, I install the Queens, I just checked them yesterday, and found= 8 laying very poor shotgun brood, 1 superceded, and 1 laying very well ,after seeing the experiences of a lot of others, I am afraid that I may have spent over $300.00 for 1 good Queen. What is a delay of this kind worth? We need to be able to make plans with our local weather/ seasons in mind. I TRUSTED a vendor to stand behind their product even with questionable Custmer Service buying into the hype of being sooo busy in the yard to take care of us. Yet, I would time and again see others that did not take the time and forethought to plan a season, getting thier orders after a VERY short time! I sent e-mail this A.M. , but, I am worried . So far my experience is- 13 Queen bought in the last 2 seasons, with 2 being good, and 11 being duds. I feel that I gave the girls PLENTY of time to get on track as far as laying, as it is now these queens will not lay enough to ensure winter survival. As an example of what I was expecting; I installed a Virgin Queen that I raised from last year's SK Queen on 01 June, 09 June eggs were found, installed into 5 frame hive 12 June, filled 4 frames with eggs and brood by end of June , moved over to 10 frame box 03 July,,,, THAT is what I expect from a bug that is touted as the best in the country. Let's just say that my "faith" has been shaken to the core. If the Ra will respond to me I would be just as quick to post my positive feelings if a resolution is reached, not hopeful,,,,:ws:

#264 ·
After contacting Rob on RA web site a few weeks ago,, I got a notification that today replacement Queens are going to arrive this afternoon via UPS. I am very pleased that they would do this, and will be able to put to rest the negitive feeling that I have been experiencing. All bussiness ventures have issues that can and will arise. The bussinesses that learn and correct the issues with their customers will succeed. RA has done that for me, it has taken some time , but such is the nature of raising Queens, I am very happy with RA, and I do hope them the best, and will keep the option open for more orders in the future.:applause:

#216 ·

There are many who believe "Twinkie" and RR are the same person.
While this is off topic, if you are hunting "Sock-Puppets", i.e. users who are running alternate handles, the easiest way to do this (short of admin access) is to click on the username and view the user's post history. It should become blindingly clear to you after a very little bit of reading that "TwinkieBee" is not Robert Russell.

Reviewing anyone's post history is quite informative. Gives you a good feel for their intellect and temperament. And, with some users, you just have to wonder what planet they came from, after looking at their post history.

The Sock-Puppets do stand out. After reviewing post histories a little while, you will be able to spot them without much effort. Like anything, it takes practice.

OK, back to the topic. This was enough of a distraction.

:cool:

#212 ·

For the participants in the disagreement over whether he called his Brother a thief. I'm not going back and find the posts, but I distinctly remember him doing just that. Maybe not the exact quote. in one post he stated that his Brother is or was serving time for taking nucs that weren't his and sold them. That happened while his Father was still alive. According to him that's when his Father asked him to take over. Just my $.02 worth. By the way there are many ways to steal!!!

#214 ·

I have never dealt with Russel Apiaries. However, I have a buddy that purchased through Paypal fifteen queens. It has now been several months and no queens have arrived. When he calls he only gets his voicemail.

I don't understand why he is still taking orders when he obviously can't fill them. It seems that he is totally trashing his reputation by how he is conducting his business. I think customers would be far more understanding, if at least he would refund there payments and tell them that he is unable to fill there orders.

#215 ·

There is no doubt RA knows and practices genetics and has for a long time. No doubt anyone can get in over their heads farming and when changing their markets.

Many RA supporters know business the way RA knows bees. I have no doubt that business advice would be freely given if it would be accepted.

Continuing to take orders without fair notice of delivery may be a matter of poor luck or business planning in the short term, in the long term it becomes a matter of ethics. Maintaining high ethical standards is harder and harder as the pressure mounts, easy when things are easy.

Leaving your friends and supporters in an uncomfortable position for so long is at best grossly oblivious of them.

It is sad for RA, his supporters, Beesource and the community as a whole.

Myself, if I ever receive queens or a refund I will consider it found money.

#221 ·

There is no doubt RA knows and practices genetics and has for a long time. No doubt anyone can get in over their heads farming and when changing their markets.

Many RA supporters know business the way RA knows bees. I have no doubt that business advice would be freely given if it would be accepted.

Continuing to take orders without fair notice of delivery may be a matter of poor luck or business planning in the short term, in the long term it becomes a matter of ethics. Maintaining high ethical standards is harder and harder as the pressure mounts, easy when things are easy.

Leaving your friends and supporters in an uncomfortable position for so long is at best grossly oblivious of them.

It is sad for RA, his supporters, Beesource and the community as a whole.

Myself, if I ever receive queens or a refund I will consider it found money.
Salty ...very well said . The simple biz advice is as it was last year , hire someone to pick up the phone . Taking orders with out delivery is criminal. This thread just wont die , i really wish it would . Sadly a couple times a week someone adds to it , no bees . My order was for early May , payed for last June for all that are late on this topic . My advice is this , if ya need a queen check to see if they have them ready to ship . My dealings with Zia, http://ziaqueenbees.com/ . Kelleys https://kelleybees.com/Products/#ca...332303631366536343230353137353635363536653733 . Ask for the hygienics . Furgesons http://www.fergusonapiaries.on.ca/index.php .. OK ,,,ordering a couple queens off this guy is worth the call . He will talk your ear off , he digs talking about bees . Then theres this guy http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?265118-Vsh-queens . He picks up the phone too . Im pretty happy with the queens i got off of him , and everybody i listed . Drama free . Every one backs up their bees , they pick up the phone ,,,or return e mail. Just as i was gonna add fuel about Bob selling Canadian Buckfest when hes in Ms i go to pull a link and his page is down . Just me or is Russells page down ? Yea im real shocked.

#220 ·

Funny you should mention that. I came here after trying and failing to get on their forum.

They can leave the site down and concentrate on getting out the BACK ORDERS of queens or refunds......someone pinch me I'm dreaming!

#223 · (Edited)

The Russell Apiaries website is back.

Given that I got a Webs.com page first, then later the full web site, I'm betting the problem was with their hosting provider. Nothings seems to have changed since I last looked.

Update: Ah, on the other hand, I spoke too soon. Webs.com is still having problems. I guess

You can collect your links now, be a shame to let that fuel go to waste.

:cool:

#225 ·

This was posted yesterday on their forum in response to someone that has been waiting for several months for a refund. It sounds like they may not even be checking their email right now due to "training". Another post from yesterday says they are running at about 60% of their normal production levels right now. WHY are they still accepting orders on their web site???

I checked your name on the commercial schedule since I can't get into the big computer system because the girls (ladies. My bad) are at a training course. Your on the schedule but there is no date and the note says "wasn't ready when his splits were. Wants to receive in summer or fall for splits." Don't know if you saw my message on here about no one is seeing the emails right now or not. They have moved into a new building and are training new ladies so they are only getting into the emails every once in a while to use them for training. They probably haven't seen you ask for a refund or they didn't get it to Doc when he was in town so I put your name on my list to ask them about.

#226 ·

Another RA post says that most orders are declined during the processing with commercial orders being accepted. Have not tried myself. RA is trying to organize for refunds or next year delivery at customer choice. There is more communication going on on the Ra site than there has been recently.
Not perfect or even good yet but some positive signs after the vacuum of information.
Some progress on the State sites with some limited queen availability from what I read.

#227 ·

After I ordered queens in late Dec, got a refund in March, and Victoria (employed there) told me they had gotten behind because of a storm and power outages. (?) Now that I need queens again and am finding out others continue to have issues, I guess I will look elsewhere. Sad because I like the ease of just ordering online and not having to take off work to drive an hour & whatnot.

#231 ·

I installed a Moonbeam on June 27th under a push in introduction cage. Released her on July 1. Have 5 frames of solid capped brood wall to wall on the frames and she has layed in 4 more frames. I am impressed so far.

#233 ·

Ordered my queens, got them today within the 45 day period they state on website. alive and healthy. I had Patience with the communications. I would order from them again without hesitation and will, just now it will have to be from the offshoots they are starting. Looking forward to seeing them in action. Even if it had been 90 or 180 days, i would still respond the same way. Faith always pays off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.