CIS 2 Dead Hives

Default CIS 2 Dead Hives

I lost two hives last Fall. Assumed mites weakened them and then yellow jackets jumped in. All I found in November was dead bees still on frames, some half in cells. Both queens were there dead. Bees on bottom boards. One had some wax moth activity, but it may have been much later.

So I sealed them off and left them in the winter cold. Went out to put honey frames in tupperware to reuse and noticed that one hive (2 boxes) was almost all honey and the other was all empty. The empty one had always been weaker and had been robbed by the other once things got bad.

Any ideas? I was feeding both and both stopped eating before the dead out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: CIS 2 Dead Hives

The second sentence of your post is the answer. You have described a classic mite crash. Do you have other hives? I saved all the honey from my dead outs to make splits. If not, harvest some of it but save a few frames. You never know when you may need it.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

CIS?
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    CIS?
    Got no idea... This was the first hit on google: "Communist Independent States"
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I'm sure molloyjp meant csi as in crime scene investigation.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I'm sure molloyjp meant csi as in crime scene investigation.
    Ah ha!
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson