To Fence or not?

Default To Fence or not?

Hi all, I'm curious how many of you fence in your hive and what kind of fence you use. I'll be setting up my first hive this spring. It will be on my property well away from anything else, so I'm not really worried about people bothering it...So I wasn't going to bother, but then some people have said that they have seen bears in the area that the hive will be in, so now I'm wondering if I need to put some electric fencing around the hive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: To Fence or not?

Quote Originally Posted by dra2120 View Post
    Hi all, I'm curious how many of you fence in your hive and what kind of fence you use. I'll be setting up my first hive this spring. It will be on my property well away from anything else, so I'm not really worried about people bothering it...So I wasn't going to bother, but then some people have said that they have seen bears in the area that the hive will be in, so now I'm wondering if I need to put some electric fencing around the hive.
    I didnít have a fence and was lucky for years until this spring. Now I have a Solar Fence Charger and Bear Fence.

When in dought FENCE them out.
    Zone 6b 1400'

I have a fence, primarily for black bears. I bought the netting type (which will also deter skunks) with a solar charger and installed metal posts in the middle and each corner for added stability. Whether you see them or not, you have black bears, so why take the risk? J

I agree with Fivej - not work risking it.
    I totally understand the perspective of not having seen bears around and thus not seeing the need for an electric fence. Couple that decision with the other investments in entering the hobby and it could appear to be something to be put off for now.
    But once you're "into it" with the bees and have a lot invested (mainly time and energy) you'll want that protected. I haven't experienced it first hand but know it would crush me to discover one (or many) of my hives damaged by a bear. Knowing it was something I could have likely averted it would be doubly painful.

If people say they've seen bears in the area, then I'd fence without a question. Especially if the yard is not near your house where you would know if there was a problem right away. Bears really trash beehives, the damage is usually catastrophic.

Nancy

Thanks everyone...I was hoping to avoid another expense, but it sounds like Spending the money on some electric fencing would be worth the cost.

We have bears and I have a fence... I've just used strands of wire spaced about 12" apart up about 6 ft.... It's doesn't do much for the skunks or raccoons, but they haven't bothered the bees as much as they have bothered my chickens...
    But in addition to having the fence itself, I have also teased them a bit by hanging pop cans to the "Hot" strands... I smear peanut butter into the concave part of the can's base... The peanut butter, of course, attracts the critters, but once their tongue hits that can, whack!
    Since our hives are located in our garden area, it also works at keep the deer out of the garden too!
    One of the problems with deer is that that their hair is hollow and provides nice insulation from the zap... At least if they're going forward into the garden area... Even with a 12" gap...
    But with the peanut butter filled pop can, they'll go to that first!
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    (Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

Anyone care to share what unit they are using(mine has to be solar) and how big the kick it has. i.e joules
    Thanks
    R2
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

I use a Parmak Magnum 12

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedgelandinc View Post
    I use a Parmak Magnum 12
    I had looked at that one hoping it would go on sale.

I went to Thomas and travelled down 201(no 95 through Brunswick then) from Augusta to an arena in Falmouth just north of the old 95 every Sunday night. I played for McDonalds and they gave us a free meal after every game.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Should have asked if it worked well for bears????
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Quote Originally Posted by frogpondwarrior View Post
    Should have asked if it worked well for bears????
    I have not had a bear attack since I put it up.

Basically, units are broken down into two categories.... Pet/garden quality or livestock quality...
    I would go with livestock quality.... With that said, units are now categorized by the number of "Miles" of fence line... Or the number of "Acres" it's going to surround....
    I can't imagine you having to fence more than an acre for your bees.... That's a pretty good chunk of real estate....
    I would go with the smallest (Cheapest) one that you can find... Also know that solar units, charge batteries and if you live in an area that is primarily overcast (Like in the winter) it won't work well after a few weeks without sun and being in the cold...
    But actually by the time that that occurs, the bears will be hibernating anyway....
    How far from power are your hives?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedgelandinc View Post
    I have not had a bear attack since I put it up.
    Kinds reminds me of the whistlers that I put on my vehicle to keep from hitting deer.... I have not hit one since I installed them... But I can't help but wonder if I'm just luckier these days!
    Chuck

Here's some good, basic info about an electrified bear fence and sizing the charger: http://www.bearsmart.com/docs/MFWP-E...GuideBears.pdf

I use the "hot/ground electric fence design" they illustrate, to pretty much guarantee a full voltage shock any time of year. This method eliminates the problem of a poor electrical ground through the animal's feet due to seasonally dry ground, frozen soil, or snow covered soil. It also provides the traditional electrical ground path through the animal's feet, if soil conditions allow. If a hot wire is touched while standing on suitable soil, you get a shock. If you touch any two adjacent wires you will also get a shock.

In a bare wire strand electric fence setup for bears I've read you should have the wires about 8" apart. Mine is set up like this. This is to shock them on their face in front of their ears, where their fur is thinnest and their skin is most sensitive... stopping them just as their head starts to go through the fence between the wires. Reportedly, if they get shocked behind their ears or head they tend to be driven forward at full force and crash through the fence...as if you shocked them with a cattle prod on their rear end.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Hey bud I used to hunt up around Derry N.H. got my first kill with a bow there it was a nice black bear. I would definitely fence them small price to pay to protect your investment not just in the cost of th bees but they cost of replacing your hives and frames ect.

dra2120 from Derry - check out Wellscroft Fence Systems near Keene, NH, about an hour plus west of you. They have a bear fence package.

It would probably be worth it for you to attend their fence clinic - you'll learn a lot and if you buy anything, you save shipping. I have electric netting around my apiary of ten+ hives and it works well. I have bee-keeping neighbors who have not been so lucky - no electric fence = bear damage..

https://www.wellscroft.com/support-center/fence-clinic

^^^
    Thanks for letting me know about them. That is definitely worth looking into...I just looked quick and they have a system designed for hive protection that is only about $100...