Greetings from SW Ontario

Default Greetings from SW Ontario

Hey everyone, I'm a new bee keeper (well, I will be in ~2 months when my nuc arrives) and and completely new to this hobby. I've frequented this forum a number of times in my research and decided to join so I can ask questions directly. Looking forward to getting advice from the group!

In my other hobby "lives" I'm a hobby farmer and a life-long home brewer.

Looking forward to interacting with everyone here!

Bryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Greetings from SW Ontario

Welcome!

I see some mead in your future!

Nancy

How did you guess

Welcome! I personally love mead!
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey, Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Seems strange to be saying this since last year I was on the other side of this message... but WELCOME! I am in Clinton Ontario. Are you anywhere near that? I have often wondered if there is a group on this forum who are from Ontario. It might be cool to exchange some experiences amongst ourselves if that were true. Much of the bee stuff that is going on in the southern parts of the US is sort of irrelevant to me in the cold north right now for example.

I'm about an hour away - literally in the middle of nowhere, about ~10 minutes south-west of grand bend. I'd love to hear from other "local" bee keepers. Frustratingly, while there are a lot of orchards and vegetable farms nearby, most of them seem to hire trucked bees, so my stock of local bee keepers is somewhat limited.

You ever deal with the Ontario beekeepers association? There isn't a local-to-me branch/club, but I still wonder if they're worth talking too/hooking up with?

Bryan

Welcome from the east coast.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

I was in Grand Bend yesterday! Just driving around looking at the frozen lake. The OBA is INDEED a very good group to hook up with. Membership gives you a good deal on third party liability insurance for your bees too and you get the monthly (or is it bimonthly) journal that I find good and practical for Ontario beekeepers. There are some regs as well that they will help you work your way through but everyone who keeps bees in Ontario needs to be registered. Nothing intrusive but very helpful in case of outbreaks or issues with farmers etc.

There are some local groups here in Huron County. One of the best queen breeders of Buckfast queens (genetically tested and such) is Fergusen Apiaries near Hensal off the Zurich road. Bill is a REALLY nice guy and the whole family is involved. There are others too (Ireland Apiaries for example) and a well known Mead guy (whose name escapes me for now). So yes. Get hooked up and maybe we will meet sometime soon.

Adi

The lake is amazing right now, ice has really piled up. I'll look into an OBA membership then, as it sounds beneficial. Not sure I need insurance though; I've only got one hive going in this spring, and am thinking about trying to catch a swarm to fill a second...and maybe a 3rd hive next year. I don't see myself with more than that. I knew about the registration; seems simple but help is always welcome.

I'm getting my first set of bees from Monroe honey (maybe your mead guy; that is their other business); I'll have to look at Fergusen & Ireland when I'm looking to fill another hive next year.

B

Yes! Munroe is in fact the name I was thinking of. Is he nearby to you then? Maybe one day this summer we can meet up there and enjoy some mead. I've never tasted it. The insurance is for third party liability (ie if someone accidentally tips your hive over and gets stung and decides to sue you or something, you are covered). Its just nice to have in case stupid things happen. Right? The number of hives is kinda immaterial. Stupid things van happen to anyone. I think the coverage is good and the cost relatively low for under 50 hives (the definition of a "hobby beekeeper" here). I started out with three hives 2 years ago too with no desire to go beyond. This year I hope to reach 20! It sort of creeps up on you

A

Thanks for the info...if mead's what you're interested in I brew it myself (a big part of my motivation to get into bee keeping) and would be happy to share a bottle with you (and/or brew up a batch with you). Monroes is "close", as in about 50km away. I've not actually been there yet, but I've talked a lot with them on the phone and they've been very helpful. I've ordered my kit from Dancing Bee, who've also been great. I'm not sure I need the additional insurance, as we already have liability insurance on the "farm" that covers injuries to people/property from livestock and livestock/equipment theft...but I should double-check it covers bees.

Next time you're going to be in my area let me know - if I'm around we could meet up!

Bryan

Thanks for the offer. I will certainly take you up on it sometime. You probably don't need extra insurance in your case but worth a check. Is it time to take this offline? My e-mail is adi.t@arrowcan.com

A

Welcome Bryan!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to Bee Source.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

@BZB47 sorry, somehow missed the updates to this thread. I'll fire you an email in the next day or two.