Mess up on paint. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mess up on paint.

Quote Originally Posted by cbay View Post
    In retaliation to this thread i am going to refuse to paint some hives and enjoy keeping bees in them.
    Rebel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    All my hives are different AND they're painted

Attachment 37522
    Yeah....
    And I see what that does to your comb!

Thats why I dye my syrup red in those comb builder colonies, its easy to track throughout the hive. Even my syrup is painted
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

Hi re, primer has it's merits. I love the stuff. I do it for a living, so I do all the steps correctly for professional results. For hives, I'd suppose anything works, better than nothing , ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by cbay View Post
    $13.82/gal, Walmart. Free shipping $35+ https://www.walmart.com/ip/ColorPlac...allon/33006981
    I am close to a Wal-Mart. IF that is on the shelf, I will probably start using it. Think it is ok RichinBama? Thanks cbay.

I guess my big question would be....... now that I have an interior paint on a lot of the new items, is it worth rough sanding them and re-painting ?

I also get my paint off the mis-tinted shelf at Fleet Farm.... $10 / gallon.

I'm thinking I will just leave them bee, and use an exterior on the rest of the items....

I'm wondering if it would pay to run a course scotch brite pad over them enough to dull them up a little and put a coat of exterior on top

Psm1212, that will work. No need to sand. Just get the satin or demi gloss. The higher the sheen, the better it repels water. That's cheap paint, but it should last several years wit a good primer underneath.

For some of us, painting the hives is fun(the garage is another matter).biggeroninside.jpg

biggeroninside.jpg[/QUOTE]

That is awesome

Mis-tinted exterior grade is $5 a gallon at my local Sherwin Williams store. You just have to be willing to take whatever they have. They almost always have an off white or other light color.

My experience has been that the paint stores such as Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore are more likely to have mis-tinted exterior grades than the big box stores that sell mostly interior paints.
    Zone 5B

I got tired of watching pine woodenware rot out in less than 5 years with 2 coats of good quality paint. Often begins with the finger joints. So when I ramped up my operation about 10 years ago I invested in good quality cypress woodenware. Hive bodies and supers have lap joints with less end grain exposure and, in my opinion, just as strong. They have remained unpainted and seem to be holding up well. I don’t want my hives to look pretty...I want them to last.

Location is a factor too. Our typical climate here is wet in winter with high humidity in summer, which contributes to the stress on woodenware.

"I guess my big question would be....... now that I have an interior paint on a lot of the new items, is it worth rough sanding them and re-painting ? "

I wouldn't bother, especially if you're a new beekeeper. Thinking practically;
    Interior latex with good primer underneath will last for several years. longer than most new beeks last in the hobby.
    If you're still keeping bees when your interior latex flakes off, just give them a good scraping and put a coat of exterior latex on them. That will last another 15-20 years.

Hops, good point. Another year or two, I may give it a break again for a while..

I threw a coat of exterior over the interior.... Quick and done... I'm not going to worry about it.... I have some deeps that I still use that my dad used 40 years ago that have hardly any paint left on them... ( some of those are getting a new coat here and there in the last few years )

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    "I suppose they would last longer if painted, but hardly enough longer to pay for the paint." --C.C. Miller, Fifty Years Among the Bees

"The hives need no painting, although there is no harm in doing it if their owner wants to please his own eye. The bees find their way to their own hives more easily if the hives do not all look alike. I rarely paint mine, and as a result no two are quite alike. Most have the appearance of many years of use and many seasons of exposure to the elements." --Richard Taylor, The Joys of Beekeeping
    I don't paint my hives and the are holding up very well. Saves me lots of time and money. Sealing the end grain with Titebond III when I assemble the boxes is the only protection the wood gets. Colorado is a dry climate, though, so YMMV.
    --shinbone
    (since 2011, 11 hives, Zone 5b, 15" rain, 5500')

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12