Mess up on paint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mess up on paint.

So I cut and built 7 ten frame brood boxes, 7 five frame nuc boxes, 14 outside covers, bases.....

Primed the wood that sees the outside elements and am painting them a light blue...

Just realized the light blue paint is an INTERIOR acrylic latex enamel....

Now what do I do?

Will this paint hold up?
    Do I paint over it with exterior?

The outside covers will be mostly wrapped in aluminum sheets, the boxes will be as is, and bottom boards are still in primer.

Will exterior paint protect them now ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mess up on paint.

I did the exact same thing 2 years ago. After 2 seasons outside, the paint is starting to crack and the joints don't look very good. I brought them in, sanded and am repriming them with Killz premium primer and repainting with good exterior paint. I've also started painting all the joints and seams with titebond 3 glue before priming and painting. That seems to make a big difference as well.

I use interior paint on all of my boxes. Exterior grade paint is $40 a gallon (and that is the cheap variety). I buy my paint off of the return rack where they have messed up the tinting. Some of my boxes have been out there for 4 years and seem to be holding fine. I have a chicken coop that I painted with interior paint about 6 years ago. It still looks fine too. Your boxes are going to get dirty and stained after a couple of seasons of weather and handling and bees crapping on it. Your bees will not care and in two years, neither will you.

Edit: oldest box is entering it's fourth year, so it has only been there for 3 years. Picture below.
    Last edited by psm1212; 02-13-2018 at 09:07 AM.

are you claiming there is no benefit to using exterior grade paint?

btw: what is the oldest box you own? what is your approximate box replacement cycle using your method?
    "Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:........" Alexander Pope 1709

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    are you claiming there is no benefit to using exterior grade paint?

btw: what is the oldest box you own? what is your approximate box replacement cycle using your method?
    No. Exterior paint is clearly superior. But I can buy 4 boxes for what it costs me to buy a gallon of exterior paint. My oldest box that is outside is entering its fourth year. I built a large chicken coop and painted it with exterior paint in 2012. (Painted it Barn Red). Still looks good and it is painted over untreated plywood. As to replacement cycle, I have not had to replace any yet and, from the appearance of the equipment now, still have a long way to go before it rots. If you keep the wood from contacting the ground, bare wood should last quite a while in my climate.

I am sure you will get added protection from exterior paint. The question is, how much and is it worth it? I can buy a gallon of interior paint from the discount rack for less than $12. Below is a picture I took last week of my oldest hive bodies (set out three Springs ago) with interior paint. Not beautiful, but still protected. I neglected to paint the top cover.

Boxes.jpg

"Exterior grade paint is $40 a gallon (and that is the cheap variety)".

It is?

Lowes Valspar Duramax Latex Exterior Paint $18.48 Gallon Valspar is excellent paint.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I'm 40 miles from the nearest Lowes. Maybe I should get out more. The local Marvins is apparently robbing us blind.

if cost is the issue with using exterior paint, it too can be found on the mistint table for cheap. $20 gallon during exterior painting season.

wood deteriorates in many ways not all of which has to do with contact with ground. dry rot is an example.

I have boxes near 30yrs old painted only twice, yup exterior on good wood. new boxes last me 15 +yrs, lesser quality wood is the issue and needs good protection now more than ever.

Cutting corners costs more money than it saves long run.

Here are some 30yr olds:
    ShinnBeesMar30 17.JPG

$13.82/gal, Walmart. Free shipping $35+ https://www.walmart.com/ip/ColorPlac...allon/33006981

Hi red barn... I'm a professional painter for over 35 yrs. Exterior paint is formulated to take the elements. Interior paints are not. Interior just won't hold up. I always prime any bare/new wood at least one coat primer, 2 is best. And at least 2 coats exterior paint over that. I prefer semi gloss ext. Over flats. Repels water, and better uv protection, and reflects heat better. Also, i use glidden premium paints, at home depot. The best at home depot has to offer. Less than 30.00 a gal. Ive been using glidden products for over 30 yrs. With no issues.

Nice pic. Like the beard. I would post you a pic of mine in 30 years, but I will likely be dead. I think you can take this to any extreme you want to fellas. 1/4" plywood to non-degradable polystyrene. They make a paint for decking now that almost acts as a rubber skin you can't even get splinters through. I'm sure that will add life to your boxes as well. My opinion is that the OP's boxes will be just fine with the paint he currently has on them. If they are chipping or cracking in 5 years, he can paint them again. They will survive and I don't think he needs to sand them down and start over, nor take the time and expense to repaint them. Just my opinion.

At least he primed it, thats 3/4 the battle
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

Yup, good primer is great, kiltz 2 latex ext. Primer works excellent too

psm>> it's not taking it to an extreme to use exterior paint on exterior woodwork. a standard practice for proven results.
    it is an extreme to defend the use of interior paint on exterior woodwork.

I accidentally bought a few gallons of "oops" paint at Lowes that was interior grade. Chatted up the sales rep later and they said "theres no real difference". Three years later its holding up as well as all my other equipment, but mind you, I prime and put two coats on everything.

I made the mistake of not priming and using Lowes premium brand of paint with the primer mixed in. That stuff isnt worth the premium price and is a bit misleading, even when you have followed the labels instructions. Always prime first. Two top coats never hurts either.

Richinbama, yeah I have some stuff with 2 coats of primer on it outside and it has weathered well without a top coat lol
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

If you have a local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, they may sell paint. At my local HfH ReStore, paint goes for $7.50 per single gallon, or $35 per 5 gallon bucket.
    https://www.habitat.org/restores

Much of the paint here is whiter shades, and while much of it is interior, they do also have exterior. In many cases the donated containers are brand new, but the labels have been partially obscured by paint spilled from some other container, making the container not sellable by the original retailer (at least not at full price.) I guessing that much of it is someone careless with a forklift and a pallet of paint.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

"I suppose they would last longer if painted, but hardly enough longer to pay for the paint." --C.C. Miller, Fifty Years Among the Bees

"The hives need no painting, although there is no harm in doing it if their owner wants to please his own eye. The bees find their way to their own hives more easily if the hives do not all look alike. I rarely paint mine, and as a result no two are quite alike. Most have the appearance of many years of use and many seasons of exposure to the elements." --Richard Taylor, The Joys of Beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    psm>> it's not taking it to an extreme to use exterior paint on exterior woodwork. a standard practice for proven results.
    it is an extreme to defend the use of interior paint on exterior woodwork.
    No, it is not extreme to use exterior paint. The extremes referenced by me were 1/4" plywood, polystyrene and a very expensive deck coating. If you believe it extreme that I actually use interior paint for bee boxes that will be placed outside, I must caution you -- I also like to run with scissors.

All my hives are different AND they're painted

20150707_130959.jpg
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

In retaliation to this thread i am going to refuse to paint some hives and enjoy keeping bees in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast