Regressed bees cell size: brood area vs. honey supers.

Default Regressed bees cell size: brood area vs. honey supers.

Dear beekeepers,
    I have regressed bees and use Mann Lake PF-100 frames with 4.95 mm cell size. Should I keep all my frames and foundation with this small cell size? Or should it be only in the brood area? Is it Ok to use foundation with standard 5.4 mm cell size in honey suppers above the queen excluder?
    Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Regressed bees cell size: brood area vs. honey supers.

I don't think super cell sizes need to be the same sizes as brood cells. In fact some people deliberately run fewer frames in their supers in order to get deeper cells for more efficient honey extraction.

But if you are using the same size boxes (say all mediums), so that brood frames are the same height as the frames in your supers, then it might make more sense to keep them all the same size. Or if not, then try to get the frames to look substantially different (all-wood vs plastic, or white vs black) just to reduce your own frustration.

In my yard I use black plastic Piercos as deeps (in both brood boxes and supers) and medium white Piercos in the few mediums I use as supers, so I can tell at a glance which is which, I mark my wood framed ones on the top surface for the same reason.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by beereal View Post
    Dear beekeepers,.........Is it Ok to use foundation with standard 5.4 mm cell size in honey suppers above the queen excluder?
    Thanks,
    I would not waste 4.9 foundation above the screen excluder.
    They will likely ruin it anyway trying to pull honey comb out of it. They like larger cell for honey storage areas (faster and cheaper to make).
    (10 + 2) years. Dad's "smoker boy". Now I am the Dad. Classic 12 frame Dadants >> Ukranian frame horizontals.

Quote Originally Posted by beereal View Post
    Dear beekeepers,
    I have regressed bees and use Mann Lake PF-100 frames with 4.95 mm cell size. Should I keep all my frames and foundation with this small cell size? Or should it be only in the brood area? Is it Ok to use foundation with standard 5.4 mm cell size in honey suppers above the queen excluder?
    Thanks,
    I'm actually going to drone foundation in the supers because that is what the bees tend to build anyway.

I run all small cell. I like things to be interchangeable and I don't use an excluder. When I did use an excluder I would use drone comb in the supers. It's much quicker to extract and takes less wax to build the comb...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    ..... When I did use an excluder I would use drone comb in the supers. It's much quicker to extract and takes less wax to build the comb...