Boom for a Loader

Default Boom for a Loader

On Hackenberg Apiaries Facebook page I saw they had developed a boom with an electric hoist to lift hive bodies off of pallets. It was attached to the front of their Bobcat. Anyone seen anything like this? I know EzLoader has setup for trucks. Does anyone know someone that could make something that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Boom for a Loader

Avant offered a machine as you describe.
    Not sure if it is still available:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGrfUpqtIWc
    I have exactly ONE hive more than than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Thanks Harry- They don’t sell the boom anymore. I checked. The video is still floating around out there. That’s pretty much what I’m looking for. Just enough to lift brood boxes and honey supers. Pallets would be moved with the Hummerbee.

Looking at that video, it's a definate knock off of an ezyloader, but without some of the features such as brakes or leveling. The cradle for example, looks identical to my ezyloader one, I could not pick any difference at all even in the tinyest detail. The rest of it is a near exact copy also, just a cheapskate mast and cheaper winch set up.

But without brakes or leveling, it will be a lot less functional. If using it on a slope it will require a fair bit of muscle power, and I can say that from experience years ago when my boss at the time bought a loader with no leveling.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-11-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Thanks Oldtimer- I hadn’t thought about the brakes or leveling. An interesting note- You can buy the boom for the Avant in Australia.

I am almost sure that the boom offered from Avant WAS an EZY loader.

I don’t know if anyone has looked at this company: http://apijuneda.com/en/gruas.htm

They seem to make some nice equipment.

Oldtimer and Harry: The Company I’m speaking with has a mast without a leveling system for 6k and one with a leveling system for 14k. How important is the leveling system is the main use for this boom is to lift supers and brood boxes on to pallets. Very short distances. The primary vehicle for moving heavy loads and transporting bees will be the Hummerbee.

Depends how much slope you are on, but if it's a decent slope, using a non levelable boom can be pretty back breaking. My suggestion would be try before you buy, see if you can get in touch with someone who would let you try one out, try loading some honey boxes on a slope with a non level boom. Wouldn't have to be that particular boom, any boom would give you an idea.

If all your sites are flat you may get away with it. Would the $6k one be upgradable to auto levelling? If so you could try it, then upgrade if you found it necessary.

Other thing nobody thinks about, is brakes. If the boom is not braked, that means any time you let go of it, it can wander off, swing around and do damage. Maybe to your vehicle, maybe hit someone. With a braked one life is simple, any time you let go just hit the brake button and it will stay right where it is.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Thanks Oldtimer: I will try to find someone that’s got the 2 different types out here. Booms are not that popular in the US. Everyone seems to use loaders. Unfortunately there is not an upgrade possible as the unit ships from oversees.if I bought the 6k unit, I was going to order the brake option.

Harry: How does your Ezyloader fit into your operation? You use both a loader and an Ezyloader?

Quote Originally Posted by MTN-Bees View Post
    I don’t know if anyone has looked at this company: http://apijuneda.com/en/gruas.htm

They seem to make some nice equipment.
    Machines are very well made, and beautifully designed. I am putting in my order for an AJ 2006 H very soon. It's a great fit for how I want to run my bees.

You could always make one homemade...

Quote Originally Posted by MTN-Bees View Post
    Harry: How does your Ezyloader fit into your operation? You use both a loader and an Ezyloader?
    Right off the bat, I have to tell you that I need to wise up and use my boom more than I do and take a load off of my back.
    Ian has provided some very smart ideas for doing just that.

We have used our boom in many odd-ball ways.
    For example, when grading hives for almonds, I have unfurled the boom and surrounded the truck with pallets of hives brought up with a forklift and then sorted the hives based on grade with the boom.
    No back strain whatsoever.

Sometimes, I will have hives pollinating a crop and when it is time to remove the bees, the grower will ask if I can leave 2 or 3 pallets for another small plot of pollinated crop.
    When it is time for me to remove those hives, there is no good reason to tow a forklift just for 3 pallets of bees. In that case, I just throw an empty pallet on the truck and when I get there, boom them off their pallets onto the truck beginning with the empty pallet. It's actually kind of fun.

Although I do not use it to it's full potential as Ian does, I cannot imagine ever being without the EZY loader.

Thank you