Nicot question

Thread: Nicot question

Default Nicot question

For those that have used this system with success this question is for you. I had some small success with this method last year. This year Iím going to step it up. My goal is to raise 100+ cells. I found that most of my success was when I left the queen in the cassette for 4 or 5 days. Just enough time for the eggs to hatch. I never had success with removing eggs. How long do you guys leave the queen confined?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Nicot question

I've found the time of year and conditions in the hive makes a difference.
    I first started using it by leaving the queen in for five days. At day five, there were always larvae to move to cell bar frame. But then I had a prolific queen during good flows at swarm season time of year that started laying double eggs from running out of cells to lay eggs in. So then I started removing the plug so the queen could find her own way out on day 2 or 3, depending on the number of eggs seen. Doing this works when conditions are good, but if not on a flow and no feeder then I've had the bees remove the eggs before they had turned into larva. So, many conditions determine the outcome. Choose what works for you in your location and environment is the best bet.

I used it twice last year and the first attempt I only wanted to raise 10 queens so I put 12 of the larvae into the cell builder. I could have easily done 30 more. I got 9 queens out of the attempt. I left the queen in for the entire time from insertion until I moved the larvae. She was sequestered for 5 days total. The second attempt I changed the plan and after 2 days looked in and found most of the cells had eggs so I let the queen go free. 3 days later, all the eggs were dried up or gone and I got nothing from the attempt. As Ray stated above, it could be because it was later in the season and there was no flow happening (the hive did have sugar water on top) but I am not sure of the reason. Going forward, I will leave her alone until I am ready to move the larvae to the cell builder. My reason for making the change was that I heard about how using the nicot box frequently caused the hive to start the supercedure process. That may have been internet fake news but I bought in to it. I now realize that it was a mistake on my part. The purpose of raising the queens was to re-queen the hives anyways. If the hive started queen cells, it would not have mattered at all. I could have used them because I was already going to replace the queen.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwratcliff View Post
    Just enough time for the eggs to hatch. I never had success with removing eggs. How long do you guys leave the queen confined?
    You have done a good observation. Bees do not accept eggs as starting point for their queen rearing efforts.

When I used to use the cages (Nicot, Jenter) I confined the queen as long as she had layed eggs. Then I removed the cover (released her) but the cage remained otherwise untouched. Just when the larvae have hatched and are well fed it is the time to move them to queen rearing hives.

Some queens refuse to lay eggs in the cage.
    TF since 2008, max 1 nuc/hive, no swarm collecting, www.buckfast.fi, YouTube juhanilunden