neighbor worried about bees in his garden - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: neighbor worried about bees in his garden

Last fall my neighbor called me about removing a bee swarm. I walked over and found a yellow jacket nest under an eave. I took care of it for him and showed him the difference between yellow jackets and bees. His kid (about 8) noticed some bees on the flowers and was quite worried about them. Some of these bees were very dark, darker than mine, almost black, and we watched for a while to see what direction they were flying off too. The dark bees were flying off to the south east, while others were flying off toward my yard. I said the lighter ones were probably mine but there was no way to know for sure. There are five other beeks that I know of within 1/2 mile radius. I told them all about bees and how all those bees were girls. I picked one up and handed it to the kid. He let it walk on his hand for a minute before it flew off. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have done that as for the next few days the was kid catching them and showing all the other kids around a bee, but he hasn't been stung yet. If the bee doesn't have something to defend, she isn't going to sting. Then I went home and got a squeeze bear of honey and took it back to them. Another beek down at the end of the culdesac has a kid sized jacket and veil, I told the kid that if he wanted to next spring we'd borrow the veil and he could come help me one day in the apiary. Now every time I see him he asks about it. I guess the point is, education is the best way to ease neighbor's fears.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 02-11-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    Zone 5B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    . I guess the point is, education is the best way to ease neighbor's fears.
    I like this response a lot.

Children are naturally curious and not afraid of nature until they are corrupted by an adult's fear and lack of understanding. J

It really depends on the kinds of flowers. I have mint - bees go CRAZY for mint during the summer dearth (after clover is done blooming). A friend has echinacea - not many bees there, comparatively. Many other flowers are just not interesting for bees. Examples are daisies, any lilies or bulb flowers (except onion family), peonies - not interesting to bees.

I would say managing your bees' access to water is key. If you have a natural stream that is year-round nearby, you won't have to do anything! But if not, then you can set out a shallow, rock-filled dish ( 12 in across) filled with water BUT with dry landing places for the bees. Bees don't swim well. Put this somewhat in the bees' flight path. A sprinkle of salt or even a tiny sprinkle of clorox is certain to make that dish popular with the bees. Don't let it dry up. Even if you are not seeing bees there, keep it full. I noticed that my bees did not need the water until late July, for "air conditioning" the hive - but if I had missed that window, I am sure they would have found the neighbors' pools instead.

Good luck with your neighbors. People think of how agressive wasps are in the fall, about your sandwich or pop, and assume bees are like that. Thankfully not!

Do you have bee laws in your area? I have hives on 1/10 acre. I and my neighbors have gardens and flowers. My neighbor has been stung once, was walking around barefoot.

I also have hives on 2+ acres and neighbors don't even know theres bees around except for the hives.

Do you have bee laws in your area? If you don't,your neighborr doesn't have the right to stop you from making food, earning income or pursuing happiness.

I have hives on 1/10 acre. I and my neighbors have gardens and flowers. My neighbor has been stung once, was walking around barefoot. I also have hives on 2+ acres and neighbors don't even know theres bees around except for the hives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12