New to bees

Thread: New to bees

Default New to bees

Iím just getting into bees and am trying to get as much knowledge as I can from books and this forum. I am planning on starting with 2 hives containing 2 deeps each because of my location in northern Michigan and eventually getting 1 super each depending on the flow. The dilemma I am in is that I want to use small cell foundations and cannot find a company that sells the kits with the small cells. I do not want to have to purchase another set of frames and foundations and trash the ones that comes with the kits. If anyone has any opinion on this subject I am willing to learn. Thank.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New to bees

Mann Lake has small cell foundation and small cell frames as well.

Also as I mentioned in your other post, use the search feature, if you type in small cell you will get several pages of posts that discuss small cell.
    Last edited by MichiganMike; 01-13-2018 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Add comment

Thanks for the info. I did read somewhere that man lake makes the PF-120 and PF-100 plastic 4.9 frames I just forgot about it. In other posts what I have read was people have put packages in with the 4.9 plastic PF-100 with no problem. What is your theory on the 4.9 vs the standard cell? I have heard of several people using the small instead of the standard to keep the mites at bay. Thoughts? Thanks.

Although there may be some small impact on mite pressure with small cell foundation it is my belief that on a long list of things for a new beekeeper to consider small cell would be at the bottom. I must admit however that if you search for my earlest post you will see I had the same thoughts as you before I began the journey and asked the same question. I am pleased to see you are aware of the issue of mites. I do not regret my decision to forgo small cell foundation.

Mich mike has some good advice. Learn how to keep bees alive on large cell, treat if necessary, get your hive counts up and then start playing with regressing cell size. I followed several beeks on their small cell journeys and it’s not all peaches and cream.
    Rod

Thanks for all of the advice. If I am starting out with empty hives that I am purchasing from Valley Bee Supply with no frames or foundation and I am going to get the type of frame and foundation that I want which would you suggest since this is a brand new hive not even started yet? is the regression still a problem if they have nothing to compare it to? I understand that if they are already building on large cell and then you regress to small cell it is challenging but I m unsure if it is a new hive. I have read numerous articles about there is no scientific evidence that small cell reduces the mite problem but in my opinion if that what they do in the wild then why mess with it plus you have more brood = more workers. Also whats the opinion on the plastic frames like mann lakes pf-100 4.9 if I were to go that route?

The kits aren’t much cheaper. I’d decide what you want and buy by the piece. Tops and bottoms are very easy to make if you want to save money. I don’t like the telescoping tops with inner covers. I have one I don’t use. More things to wax up. More places for beetles to hide.

Order bees soon. They run out early. Local bees if you can find some.

Swarm traps are fun.