spar urethane in feeders

Default spar urethane in feeders

going to be making some miller type feeders for 3 frame mating nucs, rather than trying to put a plastic container that would fit inside, and then build a screened ladder, was wondering if i could spray inside of feeder with spar urethane to seal wood so i could fill whole box with syrup. My question is, i am making these feeders with advantech which is made from particles glued together, would it work to spray the spar over the advantech glue and not cause any ill effects on the bees ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: spar urethane in feeders

What about polyurethane or shellac for the inside of the feeder and spar for the outside? As long as its dry when you add the syrup it should be fine.
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

Urethane comes up after a year or so. I suggest getting some polyester resin and coating the feeder and imbed fiberglass cloth at the corners. This is what I did and the stuff lasts forever, It is easy to correct any leaks that do occur simply by mixing more resin and applying.

Shellac can't handle the moisture. I would vote for the resin. Idea.

I have built and worked on boats for most of my adult life. Spar varnish or spar urethane is barely water resistant let alone water proof. Even epoxy is NOT 100% waterproof, let alone a polyester resin. I think you would be better off using a higher quality material than advantech - I have a good acquaintance with advantech -(mostly used as a subflooring material in my area) and it will not hold up long term to constant wet conditions like a full feeder will be. By the way all the coating materials mentioned are full of chemicals and continue to off gas for weeks or months as they continue to cure - the glue holding the advantech together will also off gas - not stuff what I want my bees to be exposed to. If I had to use advantech about the only thing I can think of using would be a coating of the inner surfaces with a good layer of beeswax to try to keep them water tight.

Thank you guys for all the info. Mike you say advantech glue will give off gas, is that only if has liquid put in it, i have seen video of barnyard bees and he has been using advantech and claims it holds up so well against the elements, but he does have plastic containers inside to hold the syrup

BeeFarmer -

All engineered plywoods and particle boards outgas component chemicals of the glues used to hold them together. They are not as bad as they used to be due to some better engineering and use of different formulations of glues, but as far as I know they all still outgas some chemicals - the main one being formaldehyde - they will do so wet or not. You may have heard of the Lumber Liquidators fiasco a couple of years ago - they were having some of their flooring made overseas and were not meeting formaldehyde emission standards for the US and California - customers who installed it were getting ill due to excess formaldehyde emissions.

A lot of us use some plywood parts in their hives somewhere - (if you stick with using exterior grade plywood there are fewer emissions than interior grade plywoods ) but these days there are so many questions about what is making our bees sick that I do not want to introduce any more chemicals into my hives than absolutely necessary. You and others may decide that the risk is minimal and I can respect that decision. I would think solid wood would be a more natural chemical free alternative especially if you are placing containers inside the feeders to actually hold the syrup. Just my 2 cents.

One might apply a heavy coat of beeswax
    - - Michael Joel
    1 John 3:3-4, Matthew 5:19, Matthew 5:18, James 2:17-20, 1 John 5:2-3