Lithium chloride as miticide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lithium chloride as miticide

A German university accidently found a new miticide: lithium chloride.

Lithium chloride effectly kills the honey bee parasite Varroa destructor by a systemic mode of action

Published in Nature
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-19137-5.pdf

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Lithium chloride as miticide

Fascinating, thank you for the timely post.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Fascinating, thank you for the timely post.
    Word out of my mouth, Fascinating research!!
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

and suddenly...everybody forgot about blue shop towels!
    thanks Bernhard!

Default Lithium Chloride

Default Lithium Chloride for Varroa

Default Re: Lithium Chloride for Varroa

(similar threads merged into one and moved to 'diseases and pests')
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks for sharing. Funny how a certain amount of scientific discovery happens by accident.

Lithium Chloride. Is that a particularly dangerous compound to be handling?

EXPOSURE AND TOXICITY: weakness, prostration, vertigo, chromosomal breaks, gaps and satellite associations, anorexia, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, tremor of the hands, faintness of musculature, thirst, leukocytosis, and concentration and memory disturbances (especially with older people), fasciculations, muscle contractions, hyperreflexia and hypertonia, drowsiness, confusion, sometimes epileptiform insults, hypotension, coma, collapse. Independent of the plasma level, changes can occur in the ECG and in the EEC, with symptoms such as polyuria and polydipsia, seldom nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, ulcers of the leg, enhancement of acne and psoriasis, transient hyperglycemia, pruritus, and a metal taste and tinnitus
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Lithium Chloride. Is that a particularly dangerous compound to be handling?
    Lithium is used therapeutically for treatment of psychiatric disorders such as bipolar. My mother was on it for years. It is given in very low doses and monitored closely because it is poisonous. Handling it for treatment of bees would not be particular dangerous unless you drank it or somehow created lots of inhalable dust for some reason. The mechanism of the most efficacious way to apply it to a bee colony hasn't been worked out yet so it isn't clear how a beekeeper would be handling it. It probably would not be dangerous though. But they do need to find a way to treat bees so that it doesn't end up in the honey. To me that would be the big issue.

The authors of the recently published paper filed a patent on the Lithium salt method in 2016.
    https://www.google.com/patents/WO2017042240A1?cl=en

That is so cool... Keeping fingers crossed

Noticing Lithium Chloride is relatively cheap to buy online too...
    Last edited by Branman; 01-12-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Can someone with a chemistry background solve the following for me ( from the article).

How much lithium chloride to how much sugar water to achieve : single application of only 10 μl of LiCl in a 25 mM solution.

there is very nice converstation going on here yet we have strayed once again from the topic at hand (lithium chloride in this case) to debating the merits or lack thereof of treating vs. not treating for mites.

the discussion is good and it's nice to see it being done with civility and respect but i can see how it might be frustrating to a reader looking to read up on lithium chloride (or any myriad of topics in other threads) and finding the thread derailed by this age old debate.

so for the sake of keeping discussions true to the title and the opening post i am going to start a thread in the main bee forum created for the expressed purpose of debating treating vs. not treating.

let's get back to lithium chloride here please.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Kcnc1 View Post
    Can someone with a chemistry background solve the following for me ( from the article).

How much lithium chloride to how much sugar water to achieve : single application of only 10 μl of LiCl in a 25 mM solution.
    Until basic safety is addressed, it would be irresponsible to promote a dosage (which only requires basic high school chemistry). Let the science proceed with safety trials before dosing your hives.

Sorry for my part in the derail cause I am interested in keeping up with whatever advances or set back are made with the subject matter of the thread.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

It is a lot to read and pretty small print but I tried. As far as I could tell it does not treat the mites in the cells? Is that correct? If so it is still a big step forward.

MichiganMike. Correct, it only kills phoretic mites because it works systemically. The bee must ingest the Li for it to work on the mites. Also note that chronic exposure results in bee mortality. The theraputic treatment of 25mM in a single application followed by plain syrup seemed to have no detrimental effects. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a bag quite yet, but it sure does look promising.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

This looks very promising. The bee death was seen in continuous long-term exposure. I'm wondering if they have started running trials on intermittent treatment designed around the mite lifestyle. 2-3 doses, if dosing is not too labor intensive, would be worth it to save hives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast