Lithium chloride as miticide - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Lithium chloride as miticide

Order some chemicals online, scratch some numbers out from a few other online sources, borrow the wife's measuring spoon again. Eyeball some powder into syrup, mix it with your finger, feed the bees. Great, no more mites! Oh crap, that hive died, and it looks like it got robbed out. Oh well.

Meanwhile, the beekeeper down the street starts harvesting his honey that seems to have some extra zing to it.

Please don't. Not yet. We have plenty of good treatments to get you through till its been tried in more controlled environs.
    Mistakes are the best taechers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

hnestly that study straight up negates itself with way to many might maybe possibly used in the wording

there are no clear repeatable effects to be shown.

I wouldn't hold my breath hoping here.

lithium is bad stuff not to be played with by the untrained

more hooey again.
    Merlin, Oregon zone 8

Given that lithium's therapeutic effect is at a fairly low dosage (tens to hundreds of mg), even if it's completely "safe" for the bees it will be difficult to approve. The dosage the paper mentions is 25 mmol or ~1060 ppm. Since they fed it as a sugar solution, once stored/concentrated by the bees said sugar-honey will likely be 2-4x higher concentration of lithium. This could prove to be a problem since bees are known to move around honey. On a positive note it shouldn't bioaccumulate in the wax so, like oxalic/formic, once used it's not going to build up in the hive like some of the hydrophobic miticides do.

Hopefully though it will give researchers more tools to work with and understand the mechanistic mode of action. Lithium ions are well known to be quite toxic to aquatic invertebrates (~1ppm for daphnia) so I suspect there is likely a lot of info out there that could be used to derive a method of action.

Double post

Beebeard, you totally nailed it! Thank you.
    Please don't use this, folks. Way too many unknowns and possible harmful effects not clearly understood or tested.
    Lets wait and see what future tests and studies reveal.
    Brian

Even if you buy the .18 per gram bottle of LiCl, an OAV treatment is still way cheaper and safer on the bees, brood and queen.

No LiCl for me until much more extensive research is being done, and even then it might be a hard sell to me because if customers caught on that I'm feeding lithium to my bees, what's in the honey?? (from their perspective)
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123