What to do with an unneeded queen?

Default What to do with an unneeded queen?

I've ordered a queen to be delivered in early April in anticipation of splitting a hive I combined from a healthy and weak hive in late summer. Colony is healthy at this point. I do wonder what to do with the queen if for some reason I don't split the hive. I only have the one hive now but anticipate acquiring several more this year. Is it practical to keep the queen for reuse later? How do you do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What to do with an unneeded queen?

I would think if you didn't want to do a big split off your hive in April you could take 1 frame capped brood about to emerge and one frame honey pollen and start a small nuc to "bank" the queen. She could lay but not a lot it would keep her healthy then either use her later or let the small split build up over the summer and over winter it. Other than that could cancel the order for the queen sure they're easy for them to find another buyer April is busy time of year for them.

If you do not split the hive, requeen the hive you have.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I bought a queen once because I thought the hive was queenless. Needless to say, I discovered it wasn't queenless, so I posted on ad on my local and state bee associations. No luck, but member Enjambres knew someone that needed one, so there she went. J

Like vtbeeguy says- If you're going to expand a little anyway build yourself a Nuc with her. Take her thru to next year in the Nuc or start a new hive with her later.

Thanks for the suggestions. The queen I have was an excellent layer this past year so I think I'll keep her. The nuc idea sounds like the way to go. Thanks again.

Make up that nuc with her.If you need her you have her.If you dont then you still have the nuc for extra resources for later on.

Negotiating a more convenient delivery date with the supplier is a possibility.
    Bill