Building a Cabin at My Outyard
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a Cabin at My Outyard

We're planning to move to the acreage we currently use as our beekeeping outyard. I'm filming the construction of our new kit cabin (and all the other stuff that goes with building a new home).

Here's my latest installment. My goal is to document the process as sort of a scrapbook for my wife and I, but I also want to tally the actual cost of the build and make a video about that when it's all said and done. Because the actual cost isn't the same as what our expected cost was.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Building a Cabin at My Outyard

VERY NICE!! Congratulations, and............I am very envious !
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogback Honey View Post
    Me, too!

Excellent series of video's covering the construction from start to hopefully finish.

I am just getting started on a VERY similar project and your video's gave me some great ideas that I have not thought of yet.

One question I have is why did you leave the basement floor in gravel??? Do you plan to concrete finish the basement floor at a latter date or do you have something else in mind? Just curious as to what your thinking was on that. What color and material compound are you going to finish the outside wood of the cabin with? Are you thinking about going with solar power? Is city/county water available or will you be drilling a well? Beautiful place! Absolutely agree with going 3 times larger on the pond. Your bees and you will love that later on especially after you stock it with fish.

Not trying to be a critic here but....move the camera or move the truck.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Not trying to be a critic here but....move the camera or move the truck.
    You're right, it's been a pain to get the camera in the right place. I've had to move it a few times. First I had the camera in a great spot--close to the house with a great angle. But construction trucks kept knocking it over. So I put it at the spot you see in this video, and the carpenter kept parking his trailer in front of it (there were some parts of the build that are missing because it was out-of-view). I think by the time the next bit of footage was filmed (which I haven't edited yet), I had the camera in a spot where it's not getting blocked...but the compromise is that it's farther away. The construction guys don't really care about my little documentation project, so they park where it's convenient for them, unfortunately. I'm not always there to have them move, and frankly I'm not keen on disrupting their work when I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogback Honey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by texanbelchers View Post
    Me, too!
    Thanks, you wouldn't envy my bills, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    Excellent series of video's covering the construction from start to hopefully finish.

I am just getting started on a VERY similar project and your video's gave me some great ideas that I have not thought of yet.

One question I have is why did you leave the basement floor in gravel??? Do you plan to concrete finish the basement floor at a latter date or do you have something else in mind? Just curious as to what your thinking was on that. What color and material compound are you going to finish the outside wood of the cabin with? Are you thinking about going with solar power? Is city/county water available or will you be drilling a well? Beautiful place! Absolutely agree with going 3 times larger on the pond. Your bees and you will love that later on especially after you stock it with fish.
    I'd like to hear about or see your project if you don't mind sharing details.

With regard to the basement, that's a question I've gotten more than any other. The basement isn't going to be gravel...that'd just be weird. We couldn't pour the basement floor slab until the septic was finished and the plumbing was roughed in. By the time those things got done it was 10 degrees every day for weeks, which is too cold to pour concrete. Instead of holding up the entire build waiting for the plumber and the temperature to cooperate, we just kept on building. My contractors tell me this is common. As of right now, the basement slab still isn't poured. They were planning to do it this week, but it warmed up and rained so they couldn't bring in the trucks without getting them stuck in the mud. So we're waiting for the ground to freeze again, and then pouring the basement (we've got the doors installed now, so we'll heat the house with propane while the concrete is curing).

The outside of the cabin has been stained. I think I'll touch on that in the next video, but honestly you can't really tell the difference between the unfinished wood and the stained wood. I wanted it to look like natural pine, so I chose a stain that was semi-transparent, and as close of a color match as I could find.

No solar yet. Hopefully a few years down the road we'll do solar, but we're doing this with the goal of NOT HAVING A MORTGAGE when we're done, so I'm having to forego some things, including solar. At the same time, the cabin is small enough that I've gone very high end on things like the kitchen, flooring, roofing, wood stove, etc.

There's no city water available. I've already got a contract with a well driller; just waiting for the basement slab before they can start drilling (because they need a place to put the pressure tank).

Neat project. What's your budget on it, if you don't mind me asking?

I too am a little envious. I got quotes to build a 16'x16' bee shed on my property, wired for electricity. One guy tried talking me into a garage instead, and quoted me $30k. Most other prefab sheds were running around $8k, lowest I could find was around $5,500. I chose to build it myself, and spent a total of $1,300 in materials. It was alot easier than I thought it would be too. Hardest part was the permits and inspector (who required insane things, like mobile home anchors). Since then, I am very likely overly optimistic, but I feel like I could probably build my own home if I had the time. Although a home and a shed are very different.

What's the insulation value of those walls? Doesn't seem like it would be too good. Looks like it would be a great summer home in the north, or a winter home in the south, but maybe not a good "year round" home in either. Could be wrong though.

I'm also interested in the name of the design: "Estonian Home" My wife is Estonian, and it doesn't look like any homes I saw when I've been there (but I can't call myself deeply knowledgeable about all things Estonian).

Once I have the purk and building permit, I have to begin on upgrading the entrance road so all the trucks and equipment can get to the build site. The road is over a mile long so that is going to be a significant task but reasonably doable.

I plan to line the road on both sides with bee hives. There is also a major gas pipeline crossing the property that will provide me with another couple of miles of prime hive locations that can be easily managed by truck and my Kubota RTVX. When I get started, I will try my hand at posting some pics and videos on my website. I have an apiary section there.

I can definitely agree with you on loving the idea of not having a mortgage. Having everything paid for is almost like having a second income.

We are on a well. Make sure you have the well driller install a PumpTec on your well pump system to protect it. It will pay for itself multiple time especially if your well level drops during droughts. Get the biggest pressure tank you can afford. It will substantially reduce the cycling of the well pump and provide long lasting consistent pressure which is really nice if you are using things like a commercial pressure washer and watering livestock.

http://www.aquascience.net/franklin-...-1-3-to-1-5-hp

http://forum.tractorfarmandfamily.co...keepers-forum/

Right now I am heavily leaning towards a metal building with half being our living space and the rest being our honey processing facility/farm shop. I must admit that your ez-log cabin has me thinking though.

Are you going to spray the outside of the cabin with urethane over the stain to make it last longer?
    Last edited by Live Oak; 01-12-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    What's the insulation value of those walls? Doesn't seem like it would be too good. Looks like it would be a great summer home in the north, or a winter home in the south, but maybe not a good "year round" home in either. Could be wrong though.
    Good questions...I'll take them in chunks:

There is wall insulation, but it's not shown yet on this video. The kit comes with an optional insulation package for the exterior walls, which consists of a bunch of metal brackets and tongue-and-groove boards. The finished r-values should be 20 on the walls and about 37 on the ceiling/roof.

Since then, I am very likely overly optimistic, but I feel like I could probably build my own home if I had the time. Although a home and a shed are very different.
    I built a woodshed a few years ago that I'm pretty proud of, and it boosted my confidence for building too. I have learned through this process that, as you mention, building a shed (or even a hunting cabin) is a whole different ballgame than building a home that you hope to spend the rest of your life in.

Neat project. What's your budget on it, if you don't mind me asking?
    My original goal was to do it for less than $200,000. That includes the purchase price of the land. The real cost is going to be higher than that. Some of that's my fault (like choosing very high end flooring, a metal roof, etc.), and some of that is because neither the builder nor I figured some expensive items into the cost when we were creating the budget (for instance, a spiral staircase cost me $4000 that we didn't have in the budget).

I'm tracking my expenses though, and plan to do a end-of-project video detail the REAL cost of doing this.

I'm also interested in the name of the design: "Estonian Home" My wife is Estonian, and it doesn't look like any homes I saw when I've been there (but I can't call myself deeply knowledgeable about all things Estonian).
    The manufacturer (EZ Log Structures) of the kit is located in Estonia. So they named this particular design after their home country.

Once I have the purk and building permit, I have to begin on upgrading the entrance road so all the trucks and equipment can get to the build site. The road is over a mile long so that is going to be a significant task but reasonably doable.

I plan to line the road on both sides with bee hives. There is also a major gas pipeline crossing the property that will provide me with another couple of miles of prime hive locations that can be easily managed by truck and my Kubota RTVX. When I get started, I will try my hand at posting some pics and videos on my website. I have an apiary section there.

I can definitely agree with you on loving the idea of not having a mortgage. Having everything paid for is almost like having a second income.

We are on a well. Make sure you have the well driller install a PumpTec on your well pump system to protect it. It will pay for itself multiple time especially if your well level drops during droughts. Get the biggest pressure tank you can afford. It will substantially reduce the cycling of the well pump and provide long lasting consistent pressure which is really nice if you are using things like a commercial pressure washer and watering livestock.

http://forum.tractorfarmandfamily.co...keepers-forum/

Right now I am heavily leaning towards a metal building with half being our living space and the rest being our honey processing facility/farm shop. I must admit that your ez-log cabin has me thinking though.

Are you going to spray the outside of the cabin with urethane over the stain to make it last longer?
    Sounds like you'e got a really big plot of land if you've got a mile-long road!

Thanks for the advice on the well. That'll be front-of-mind when the driller comes out in the next few weeks.

I hadn't thought about adding urethane to the logs. I'll ask my carpenter what he thinks.

I must say I've had a great experience so far with the EZ Log kit. I think they're nice looking little homes, and compared to a conventional house, they're cheap. If you can do a lot of the work yourself, they'd be really cheap. But still probably not as cheap as a metal building.

Part 5 edited and posted...

Get the biggest pressure tank you can afford. It will substantially reduce the cycling of the well pump
    The same with a correctly sized pump. Bigger is not better. There is no value in having a pump that supplies more GPM than you use. No value in pumping more GPM than your well recovery rate and well storage capacity. No value in more HP than required to fill the tank. You are no just starting a motor you are starting the movement of a whole column of water at each cycle. Pick your pump after you know your well.

Agree, put your money in the tank, not the pump.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    The same with a correctly sized pump. Bigger is not better. There is no value in having a pump that supplies more GPM than you use. No value in pumping more GPM than your well recovery rate and well storage capacity. No value in more HP than required to fill the tank. You are no just starting a motor you are starting the movement of a whole column of water at each cycle. Pick your pump after you know your well.

Agree, put your money in the tank, not the pump.
    Great advice, thank you.

This gets me mostly caught up to where we stand now, so this'll be it until the weather breaks and we make some more progress.

beearthur
    You mention cost differrences. I would be interested in hearing about your experiance on this.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast