When to checkerboard hive on Gulf Coast - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: When to checkerboard hive on Gulf Coast

good deal mj and i believe you will have much fun in the process.

i feel making increase from you own colonies is an important part of the craft.

doing so will help you become self sustaining and take a little bit of the 'sting' out of losing a colony here and there.

let me know what you find with the first thorough inspection and we'll go from there.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Excellent advice squarepeg.

I would like to ask for more discussion on how many frames you keep in the brood nest:

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    ...consider spacing out to 9 frames in all of the boxes...
    Do you leave the extra spacing between frames in your brood nests too? Seeing no advantage to a brood nest with 7 frames, (in an 8 frame hive), or 9 frames, (in a 10 in ten frame), my hives have 8 or ten frames in the brood nest. I understand why you put 9 frames above the brood nest, but cell depth in the brood nest is going to be fairly consistent by nature's design. Using every frame in the brood nest gives the bees 3,000 more cells to use for brood rearing and put less pressure on upward expansion. If you do keep 9 frames in the brood nest, would you share the advantages you see from doing so? My bees would put a lot of burr comb in a 9 frame brood nest.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    If you do keep 9 frames in the brood nest, would you share the advantages you see from doing so? My bees would put a lot of burr comb in a 9 frame brood nest.
    many thanks lee.

the advantage is mostly to the beekeeper at harvest time with perhaps some slight disadvantage to the colony with regard to the spacing out to 9 frames like that. for some reason i don't get much burr comb.

since my goal is encouraging the brood nest to grow upward to the top of the top super during the build up coming out of winter, and then expect the nest to migrate back down to to the bottom once the main nectar flow starts by mid spring, it turns out that what frames had brood in them earlier in the season end up with honey in them by harvesting time.

so it's easier to just go ahead and have them spaced out like that to begin with even though the colony may have to work a little harder in the early part of the season keeping the brood warm.

walt used the 9 frame spacing even in his bottom (single) deep. he liked to be able to pull any frame he wanted to without having to move the others.

i like to have 10 frames in the single deep at the bottom of my stack. i find it quicker to pry the frames loose with a hive tool and i like to create more space from which to pull a frame out to avoid bumping into adjacent frames.

if i wasn't harvesting honey i would use 10 frames in every box just to avoid having the ends of the top bars getting heavily propilized and making frame removal more difficult.

my manipulations strive to set the frames so i end up with a frame of honey on the outside, with a frame of beebread just inside of the honey frames, and 5 frames of brood occupying the middle slots.

with 3 supers this equals 15 medium frames for brood which is the space equivalent of about 10 deep frames. 4 supers with 20 frames for brood is the equivalent of just over 13 deep frames.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12