Bees in 2018 (Good or Bad) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dude I live in CA and know for a fact that hives did burn up in that fire and the virus that I was told about was from other beekeepers maybe it's not worldwide but here in US. I don't know that for a fact just telling what I have heard from a lot of people. If you don't like what I'm saying maybe you shouldn' read what I have to say and comment!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees in 2018 (Good or Bad)

Heres one https://www.gofundme.com/85-of-bee-h...ned-up-in-fire
    Another https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ire/959865001/
    I'm sure there is no final talley on losses but its going to be substantial.

Thanks Mike for posting.

It sometimes hard seeing and hearing all the doom and gloom that goes on in this business. Is it all true or just what people want to hear. Maybe the doom and gloom pays out better. I when to a bee meeting two years ago and what I hear from the state speaker was so much doom and gloom. Why would anyone get into the business. Lets teach instead of scare.

Very few talks about how awesome of a job we have.

I talked to an operator that I feel like he knows what he is doing. I never hear him say anything about sick bees with virus, mite are killing us, it just cost to must to treat, feed or truck bees. Maybe his product speaks for itself.

I have people come up to me and ask me how my bees are doing. From March to Sept. they are doing great. The rest of the year I still have NO worries. I don't need to scare someone into buying my product. My product speaks for itself.

What do I know 30+ years in the business. I sell everything I can produce and broker whatever I can't produce.

I might just spend way to much time read comment from those that live on hear say.
    Last edited by The Honey Householder; 01-12-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Thanks Harry, Happy Days.

With almost 2 million hives needed for pollination, these disasters (while heartbreaking) may or may not impact supply. I have heard the rumors but time will tell.

You have a great business model Ron. You have figured out how to beat the major issues facing beekeepers.It wouldn't work here cause honey crops suck, and almond pollination is our bread and butter. So we are going through our hives now, and any mite problems are MY fault.
    I found this link, but havent had time to read it:http://www.beeculture.com/2018-almon...ply-contracts/

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    So we are going through our hives now, and any mite problems are MY fault.
    How refreshing to hear such an honest, strong statement!
    Personal responsibility, in my opinion, is very liberating and encouraging.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Now Mike that is what I'm talking about.
    I've always been a numbers guy.
    They state 30% from SD, ND, and MT. area. What % is CA. I would think the home team would make the most in this game. The % from east of the Mississippi would take the smallest piece of the pie, other then FL.

Ha I know you have the same philosophy about making excuses. Blaming farmers for killing bees with neonics when it was usually mites,is a classic. Mites, lack of good nutrition are the top 2 preventable problems as you know.Fires and floods can sometimes be outrun, but I don't think there was much they could do,that fire moved too fast.
    Anyways most of our hives are looking good but there are some that will need shook out or combined.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12