Front Range roller coaster - 2018

Default Front Range roller coaster - 2018

Normally, January 9th would be too early in the new year to start the annual "Front Range roller coaster - 20xx" thread, but . . .

I took advantage of the insanely warm weather (not just "unseasonably warm", but truly crazy insane warm) of 63F to do a mid-winter broodless OAV application. The OAV'ing went quickly due to me using the Provap 110. Once done with the Provap, I put a couple of witness boards in place, and will report back on mite fall,

Lot'sa bees were flying, so I decided to do a quick inspection of one of the more active hives, which is a Dadant Deep 14-frame hive. For reference, last year my hives started brooding in mid-January. Today, when I opened the one hive, I found a small patch of about twenty 2-day old eggs. Meaning, the queen started laying on January 7. We've still got lots of winter left, and I am not sure if this early-January patch of eggs is going to survive, but that has to be a record for my area for a queen to start brooding. No doubt many other hives in this area are doing the same.

Anyway, local beeks may want to consider checking food stores because the bees are making their Spring babies early, and therefor stressing their food reserves earlier than usual. We've still got a long way to go before the Silver Maples start doing their thing.

Here's a video of the bee activity. As I would expect, I don't see any pollen on these bees.

Here is the FRRC thread from 2017
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...r-coaster-2017

--shinbone
    Last edited by shinbone; 01-09-2018 at 05:16 PM.
    --shinbone
    (7th year, 13 hives, Zone 5b, 5500')

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Front Range roller coaster - 2018

LOL it was a beautiful day
    I was doing full inspections today, nucs are still holding on, but lite and haven't been taking feed....going to take some losses there for sure, no brood yet, but IIRR you start about 2 weeks before me, have to see if moving in to full sun this year will change that
    "management decisions based upon hard data.The easiest person in the world to fool is oneself"- Randy Oliver

2018 thread it is Its almost 70 F here btw Bees have been flying like mad for a while so it's looking like I better make 20 gallons of invert sugar syrup just to stay on the safe side. No pollen, no nectar to be had but theyre flying. Time to look up some pollen sub recipes just in case also.

Last time this summer weather in winter happened, we got a 2 week long -10 cold snap and a few hives clustered and died a frame away from their honey.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

As promised, 2 examples of 48 hour mite falls after OAVing on 1-7-18. (click on the photo and enlarge if you want to see more detail). I didn't count mites, but I'd estimate about 30 mites on each witness board. I might do a 2nd OAV treatment.

--shinbone

Thermograhs taken with my new Seek Thermal Compact Pro. In both photos, the hive on the left is alive and the hive on the right is dead. I am still learning the best settings, and so I am open to any suggestions folks may have.

--shinbone

What a great tool! You can see where the cluster is without opening the hive...

In the second photo, for the hive on the left (i.e., the one still alive), the top two boxes (which are shown as mostly green in the thermograph) sit above the inner cover and are housing an empty feed jar.
    --shinbone

Same on the weather here. A very mild winter so far but it's likely far from over. I'm glad I left them heavier with honey than usual. My hives will stay zipped for another month or two, at least. They appear to be doing fine. The Stock Show was one of the warmest in recollection.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Zero last night. 60's on Friday. Snow for the weekend. Typical Colorado weather. Did I jinx the Stock Show?
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Shinbone, I like the thermal imaging. Do you have any links for it. Cost ect. Would be helpful. I wonder if that would work for water leak detection under concrete slabs.. dual use would be nice for me. I do gen. Contracting, so very nice if so. Thanks, Richard

3F at my house, this morning. Predicted to be in the high 60's by the end of the week, with rain/snow over the weekend.

The Seek Thermal Compact Pro had a "street price" of $399 on ebay.
    --shinbone

That is the same weather prediction we have for here in north Arkansas. After this weekend things should get back into the usual mid 40s to mid 50s for highs.

What beekeeping actions do you take based on the thermal imaging?
    40 years - 25 colonies, 32 Nucs - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

You should go take that camera out while its cold and dead hives haven't gotten much solar gain
    "management decisions based upon hard data.The easiest person in the world to fool is oneself"- Randy Oliver

Man, we sure could use some snow. I was reading today that state wide we are only at 66 percent of our usual snow pack for this time of year. Any of you long term front range beeks have any insite into how big of of an impact this will have on our flows down on the eastern slope?

If you're in town you'll get a decent spring flow. People irrigate their yards. I have a yard by a creek and it typically does well regardless. Out on the plains though dry years tend to be rough especially if we have a dry spring.

We got a tiny bit of rain and three dustings of snow. I'm a bit worried not so much for the bees but for the fire danger.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

It was in the low 60's today, so I took a peek at 4 of my 13 hives. All 4 were brooding, and Hive #4 had 1 full medium-size frame of brood spread over two frames. That hive had a pretty big population of adult bees, too.

I scratched open 3 capped larva and pulled out the white-eye staged larva to inspect for mites. Didn't see any mites, but, of course, only looking at 3 larva won't tell me much. There was not much capped brood, so I limited myself to opening just 3 the cells, despite my curiosity to inspect more.

Small patch of brood in Hive #7:

--shinbone